Sign in to follow this  
Taterman

Video camera system recomendation needed

We have a lot of animals that my wife feeds that visit our back yard and porch. She feeds the rabbits, but skunks, opossums, deer, raccoons... everything stops by and we like to know what's visiting. We had a game camera out there but it recently stopped working so I'd like to upgrade to a video camera set up to see what comes by and watch live on the TV at times too. A motion sensor alerts us to activity.

We've also had people walking through and one even looking in our sliding glass door that I'd like to catch. Someone stole our bird feeder as well.

I only need one wireless camera but an option to add another in the future would be a plus. I'd like to be able to watch it live on TV as well as record either motion sensor video or still pictures. It will be used at night and in the winter where snow will land on it so it must be weather-proof although I could put some kind of cover on top of it to keep most of it off..

It would have to have night vision/infrared (not sure of the terminology) and the range would be 50' or less, probably closer to 20'. It would need fairly sensitive motion detection to record or take pictures set off by smaller animals like a rabbit or squirrel.

Can anyone recommend such a system?

Is there a system out there like this already made, or is it something I would have to buy separate components for and piece-meal it together?

Can anyone recommend such a system?

There is no specific system to recommend. Sounds like you simply need an outdoor camera and DVR. The part about watching live on TV is not as straightforward, unless the DVR or PC has an output that can be connected to a TV, such as HDMI. This shouldn't be all that difficult with the proliferation of HDMI devices.

I really hate wireless devices unless there's no other way, but if the camera is within very close range of the access point, it might not be so bad. However, most commercial grade outdoor IP cameras are not wireless, they're hard-wired. Re-think the wireless thing.

Let's say you decide wired is ok. To start out, you could get an IP camera (Dahua and Hikvision seem to be favorites) and use your existing computer as the DVR for now. I have experience with a VMS called Xeoma, which you may be able to get by with in Free mode. It's super easy to set up and runs on many different operating systems. Run this setup for awhile and see how things go. Add more cameras later, or get a dedicated DVR later if you wish.

Thank you jrmymllr. Wired shouldn't be too much of a problem since the T.V. backs right up to the wall where the camera will go. I was planning on putting the DVR right there too. I'd rather not leave the P.C. on 24/7 so I think a DVR is needed.

So basically just a DVR and one decent camera is all I should need? I'd need a DRV with an HDMI output too as you mentioned.

Any recommendation on a DVR brand? I'd like to spend no more than $300 on the whole set-up, $200 would be better.

Thank you jrmymllr. Wired shouldn't be too much of a problem since the T.V. backs right up to the wall where the camera will go. I was planning on putting the DVR right there too. I'd rather not leave the P.C. on 24/7 so I think a DVR is needed.

So basically just a DVR and one decent camera is all I should need? I'd need a DRV with an HDMI output too as you mentioned.

Any recommendation on a DVR brand? I'd like to spend no more than $300 on the whole set-up, $200 would be better.

Right, just a DVR and camera. If you get an IP camera (preferable) be sure to get an IP DVR. I don't know a lot about DVRs since mine is PC based, but I've read good stuff on here about Hikvision and Dahua. If you get a DVR made by the same company as the camera, you should have no problems.

Just a hint, a good, low-priced IP cam is about $100 alone, which doesn't leave much for the DVR and possible separate hard drive you'll have to get. That's why I suggested using a computer initially to see how things go.

Thanks again. Is the IP cam mainly so I can view on my phone? Would the camera come with software to set it up on the P.C.?

Thanks again. Is the IP cam mainly so I can view on my phone? Would the camera come with software to set it up on the P.C.?

The main advantage of IP cameras is higher resolution. Analog cameras are cheaper but limited to about what you got with the old analog TV system. Another advantage of IP cameras is the ability to configure them with your web browser, and not needing special hardware if you use a computer as a DVR. It's very convenient to configure mine simply by going to their build-in webpage. The main items you'd be configuring are things related to image quality, day/night behavior, and on-screen text such as current date and time. If you use an analog camera, you'll need a capture card.

There's one particular person on this forum that preaches analog cameras, but most everyone else disagrees for new installations. The only real advantage of analog cameras is price, and you know where that usually leads to.

With an IP camera, video can be streamed from it. Something as simple as VLC player for Windows will work just to test the camera out. Hikvision, for example, distributes their own free VMS, which is simply the program that streams video from the camera(s), detects motion and records, etc. I know my Hikvision cameras have the ability to do their own motion detection and save to a network drive, but I don't use that. Otherwise, I'd recommend trying Xeoma which is what I use, and is extremely easy to set up. It even finds the cameras for you. If you have a webcam, you can try out Xeoma with that right now just to see how it works.

I've been looking around at some cameras and I see Hikvision recommended a lot here. What are your thoughts on this camera:

http://www.amazon.com/Hikvision-DS-2CD2032F-I-Waterproof-Network-Security/dp/B00YJ2QICO/ref=sr_1_1?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1448462317&sr=1-1&refinements=p_4%3AHikvision

281488_1.jpg

And this PoE unit:

http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-PoE150S-Gigabit-Injector-compliant/dp/B001PS9E5I/ref=pd_bxgy_421_img_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0CQR7SV8MKY8T9N46QT9

281488_2.jpg

It's about the most I can afford but I'm open to cheaper options if anyone has a recommendation.

Remote Viewing video over internet and on smart phone is By Default.

Letting alone analog camera and IP camera, there is another kind; HD video in analog fashion: It includes 3 types. Check out HD-CVI, HD-TVI, and HD-AHD. Their video resolution is better than the conventional analog camera system. The cost is as good as Analog system's. Say, 4Ch X 720P system can cost much less than U$300, including HDD and a standalone DVR. If you go for analog systems, say 4Ch X D1 or 960H, you can get it done around U$200, including HDD and a standalone DVR.

Letting alone analog camera and IP camera, there is another kind; HD video in analog fashion: It includes 3 types. Check out HD-CVI, HD-TVI, and HD-AHD. Their video resolution is better than the conventional analog camera system. The cost is as good as Analog system's. Say, 4Ch X 720P system can cost much less than U$300, including HDD and a standalone DVR. If you go for analog systems, say 4Ch X D1 or 960H, you can get it done around U$200, including HDD and a standalone DVR.

Thanks Sonny! I had no idea about the different types. Question though: What does the D1 stand for in your last example?

Also, are those types equal or better in severe weather? I live in the Chicago area and we get hit hard with snow and wind. Sometimes the snow blows straight sideways or swirls up.

Thanks Sonny! I had no idea about the different types. Question though: What does the D1 stand for in your last example?

Also, are those types equal or better in severe weather? I live in the Chicago area and we get hit hard with snow and wind. Sometimes the snow blows straight sideways or swirls up.

D1 is very low resoluton, 960h is not much better...much worse than 720p..D1 will look like total crap once blown up on your large tv. I know sunny is going to argue the point..claim they are all the same...but really who are you going to believe, some china scammer, or your own eyes. Also those systems are not wireless. While i never recommend wifi for security, this seems to be a bird watching system so you will be ok. All the technologies are basically the same with respect to weather. Dont waste your money on a junk low resolution analog system..even if it is for birdwatching, you want to enjoy a good picture.

Dont let anyone tell you that D1 uses the same sensor as 1080p and its all the same. It is NOT. See for yourself.

You should be looking at a minimum of 720p, 1080p is even better. If you go with an ip system you will not have to mess with a DVR..you can record direct to the camera via sd card...that camera you linked to is a china version so you wont be able to upgrade the firmware. Search google for 2CD2120F-IW you will find a US seller selling a US region camera for 129..all you need is an injector like you posted. You can use a cheap 25 dollar amazon fire stick to stream the video direct to your tv.

Great info Boogieman, I really appreciate it. The videos are very telling too.

I love that camera (2CD2120F-IW) but unfortunately out of my price range. Would a dome or turret be better than a bullet in an area with several inches of snow every year? It will be mounted about 8' up on aluminum siding.

I'm not sure how those Fire sticks work, the descriptions mostly talk about streaming Amazon content. I'll read more about them.

Does a camera with an SD card mean you have to go outside to retrieve it? I need to store motion detected video but wouldn't want to take a ladder out in the snow to pull out a card from the camera. Sorry for the newbie questions. I feel rushed to decide on something because there are so many good prices this time of year and the weather here will be a lot worse very soon. I figure I'll have to caulk the hole drilled to run the ethernet cable outside the house.

Edit: This is from a review of the Fire Stick:

"Why wouldn’t you buy it? You don’t use Amazon services much and/or you already pay for HBO."

I don't use Amazon services, would a Fire stick still work?

Here's the review: http://www.wired.com/2014/10/amazon-fire-tv-stick-comparison-chart/

I don't have a Wifi router and wasn't planning on getting one.

Analog Cameras are Very Very Cheap and have been there, Tough & Rugged. If you buy a DVR with recording resolution D1 or 960H, the video quality is OK, not as bad as being trashed by peddlers of IP cameras.

Great info Boogieman, I really appreciate it. The videos are very telling too.

I love that camera (2CD2120F-IW) but unfortunately out of my price range. Would a dome or turret be better than a bullet in an area with several inches of snow every year? It will be mounted about 8' up on aluminum siding.

I'm not sure how those Fire sticks work, the descriptions mostly talk about streaming Amazon content. I'll read more about them.

Does a camera with an SD card mean you have to go outside to retrieve it? I need to store motion detected video but wouldn't want to take a ladder out in the snow to pull out a card from the camera. Sorry for the newbie questions. I feel rushed to decide on something because there are so many good prices this time of year and the weather here will be a lot worse very soon. I figure I'll have to caulk the hole drilled to run the ethernet cable outside the house.

Edit: This is from a review of the Fire Stick:

"Why wouldn’t you buy it? You don’t use Amazon services much and/or you already pay for HBO."

I don't use Amazon services, would a Fire stick still work?

Here's the review: http://www.wired.com/2014/10/amazon-fire-tv-stick-comparison-chart/

I don't have a Wifi router and wasn't planning on getting one.

The form factor is irrelevant for weather..they all have the same weather rating.

The fire stick would replace the DVR/nvr for viewing on your tv - you would use the hikvision app ..since you dont have a router, that is out. Im guessing you want to keep it simple. How important is the wireless aspect? Can you run a cable from the camera to a DVR/NVR?

The form factor is irrelevant for weather..they all have the same weather rating.

The fire stick would replace the DVR/nvr for viewing on your tv - you would use the hikvision app ..since you dont have a router, that is out. Im guessing you want to keep it simple. How important is the wireless aspect? Can you run a cable from the camera to a DVR/NVR?

The wireless aspect isn't too much of an issue, either way I'll have to fish a ethernet cable inside the wall I believe. And I'd definitely like to keep it simple.

I already have a router (no Wifi) and a 50' ethernet cable running to the T.V. area. The wall right behind the TV is where the camera will be mounted outside.

Basically, I just want a Weatherproof camera outside with night vision, motion detection recording (either still pictures or video), and the ability to watch live on the TV at times.

So would this be a good choice then? I believe it's the US version.

http://www.amazon.com/Hikvision-Megapixel-Network-Security-DS-2CD2032-I/dp/B00K0S5BLK/ref=sr_1_173?m=A278TE67X5QD13&s=merchant-items&ie=UTF8&qid=1448696844&sr=1-173&refinements=p_4%3AHikvision

It will be mounted on aluminum siding and be pointing almost straight down, just angled a bit out and left. Would a bullet style like this be an issue pointed down at a sharp angle? I assume the ethernet connects in the back of the camera. Or would dome or turret be better?

I'm still unsure if a bullet or turret would best since it will be pointing almost straight down.

A couple other questions:

• * In the camera descriptions, is waterproof better or worse than weatherproof?
    * Will a Firestick work without wifi?
    * If I just get camera (with 64G SD card), PoE adaptor, and Firestick would I all set for recording motion detected video?
    * With the above set up, would I be able to copy, delete or view video from my PC (hooked to same router)?
    * Is there a Hikvision or similar quality turret camera with SD slot available? I haven't been able to find a Hikvision.

I'm still unsure if a bullet or turret would best since it will be pointing almost straight down.

A couple other questions:

• * In the camera descriptions, is waterproof better or worse than weatherproof?
    * Will a Firestick work without wifi?
    * If I just get camera (with 64G SD card), PoE adaptor, and Firestick would I all set for recording motion detected video?
    * With the above set up, would I be able to copy, delete or view video from my PC (hooked to same router)?
    * Is there a Hikvision or similar quality turret camera with SD slot available? I haven't been able to find a Hikvision.

I see you've encountered the person I warned you about in an earlier post, the one that loves to push analog cameras. Stick with IP.

Anyway, between waterproof and weatherproof, I'm not really sure. What really matters is the the IP rating (a different IP than when we say "IP camera; which is Internet Protocol"). This IP means "ingress protection", and it's a standardized specification. The Hikvision you referenced is IP66 which is about as good as you're going to get for a product like this. The first 6 means dust tight, and the 2nd 6 means it'll withstand powerful water jets without leakage. So in a general sense, it's quite capable of withstanding Midwest weather. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_Code

Firesticks appear to be Wifi only. The only connection they have is HDMI and probably USB for power. I can't answer much more about the Firestick because I didn't even know these were used for CCTV! As for SD card, I don't like the idea because I prefer to simply stream video off the camera and handle it from there.

Bullet vs turret: I'm no expert, but the bullet has that sun shield sticking out the front, which the turret doesn't. However I have two Hikvision turrets on the soffit underside pointed to the west, but since they are pointed in a slight downward direction, and there are houses in view, I don't have much problem with the evening sun. The bullet isn't going to care if you point it straight down, however. One advantage of turrets is they are more difficult to knock out of alignment.

Thank you for the clarification on IP jrmymllr, I'm embarrassed to admit I did think it was referring to internet protocol.

If a Firestick has an HDMI out, couldn't I just run an HDMI cable right to the TV? Do you think I would able to view live? I assume there's a place on them for running an ethernet to the camera but not sure. They seem small to have that many ports that you can plug in a cable, but if they require Wifi, I guess it won't work for me anyways.

I like the idea that turrets are more discreet then bullets.

Thank you for the clarification on IP jrmymllr, I'm embarrassed to admit I did think it was referring to internet protocol.

If a Firestick has an HDMI out, couldn't I just run an HDMI cable right to the TV? Do you think I would able to view live? I assume there's a place on them for running an ethernet to the camera but not sure. They seem small to have that many ports that you can plug in a cable, but if they require Wifi, I guess it won't work for me anyways.

I like the idea that turrets are more discreet then bullets.

Just to be clear, we are dealing with two different IPs on the same camera, Internet Protocol and Ingress Protection, one referring to the camera interface type and the other how "weatherproof" it is. Not sure if I misled.

The Firestick plugs right into the TV's HDMI port, and from the little I found online, it appears you can get an app for it to view CCTV cameras. Beyond that, this is the first I've heard of this. Since the Firestick is Wifi only, you can still use it. The camera simply needs to go to a standard Wifi router/access point's Ethernet port (something you probably already have), and the Firestick can talk to the router over Wifi. The router will allow Wifi and Ethernet devices to communicate.

Thanks again. I don't have a Wifi router and was hoping to avoid getting one. Do you think I be better off just getting an inexpensive DVR that has an HDMI output?

Thanks again. I don't have a Wifi router and was hoping to avoid getting one. Do you think I be better off just getting an inexpensive DVR that has an HDMI output?

Either that, or a computer with HDMI out. I'm a fan of standard hardware and would lean towards the computer, but it depends on your primary use for the system. I have seen some fairly cheap IP DVRs and I believe most have HDMI out. If not, DVI can be converted to HDMI with a simply really cheap adapter.

Hi. If you want something simple but good I would go for a HD-TVI system

Good picture quality recorded to a hard drive recorder which you just plug into your tv via HDMI

I will pm you a link with good prices