perebrine

Accidently cut through wire

Hi,

I accidently cut through my CCTV wire from the DVR to the camera, i managed to repair it by twisting & taping up up, but is there a better way to join them, other buying a new cable?

It is from my DVR to the camera, there are 2 wires inside, one I believe is to the power, it has BNC Connector at each end. I have managed to twist them together & used electrical tape & it works, but wondered if there is a better way of doing it, more permanently.

I did buy another lead but the picture is too bright using the new cable, this is why I joined the old one.

There are two types of cables that are similar to your description. One is the mini cable that is sometimes supplied with CCTV kits and then there is the commercial cable of full size RG59/18-2. If it's the power wires that are cut, splicing them really well, should work for you ok.

There are two types of cables that are similar to your description. One is the mini cable that is sometimes supplied with CCTV kits and then there is the commercial cable of full size RG59/18-2. If it's the power wires that are cut, splicing them really well, should work for you ok.

Thanks for the reply, I would suspect it's the mini cable that came with the kit, it is a very small diameter, probably 2mm at the most. There are 2 wires inside, one is for the power & the other I presume for the picture.

The reason I asked is it worked at the the start but now I have no picture again, just a blue screen, so I suspect the join has come undone.

Hi,

If your CCTV used Co-Axicel cable Best way it buy Male & Female BNC cable connectors and mount them on the cut edge of the cable.

Now you can connect both cable in proper way.

Hope your Camera works fine.

visit www.spyguard.net you will find out the bnc connctor.

Thanks for the reply, I would suspect it's the mini cable that came with the kit, it is a very small diameter, probably 2mm at the most. There are 2 wires inside, one is for the power & the other I presume for the picture.

The reason I asked is it worked at the the start but now I have no picture again, just a blue screen, so I suspect the join has come undone.

can you upload picture of a cable you have ?

what every cable you have on your system there are many of cable connctors on the market. just you buy both male & female connectors. thats it.

Something is not computing here and you're quite clearly not a professional so that makes matters more difficult.

You said there are two "wires" in the cable, it's 2mm in diameter, and there's a BNC on each end. That tells me it's mini-cable coax which means it doesn't have "wires" inside, it has a center conductor and an outer braid. They are conductors, not "wires". Since CCTV is voltage and not RF based you can get away with twisting them together, but unless you buy some specialized tools and connectors you're not splicing that together again.

The proper course of action here is to replace the entire cable with something legit.

Something is not computing here and you're quite clearly not a professional so that makes matters more difficult.

You said there are two "wires" in the cable, it's 2mm in diameter, and there's a BNC on each end. That tells me it's mini-cable coax which means it doesn't have "wires" inside, it has a center conductor and an outer braid. They are conductors, not "wires". Since CCTV is voltage and not RF based you can get away with twisting them together, but unless you buy some specialized tools and connectors you're not splicing that together again.

The proper course of action here is to replace the entire cable with something legit.

Thanks for the reply, I bought a new cable but it came with the wrong connecter at one end, so I had to buy an adapter, but once fitted the picture is is too bright to see.

I need for the DVR end a BNC fitting & a Female power fitting. The camera end is not BNC so I need 2 female fittings.

Hopefully these pictures may help.

Picture 1, in the bottom right corner of the 4 is the view I am getting since fitting the new cable, too bright.

Picture 2,is the old cable & connections I need at the camera end.

Picture 3, is the old cable & the connectors I need for the DVR end. To the left of the old cable is the new one, you can see it's thicker & I needed an adapter at the camera end to fit. I don't know if it's the adapter or the thicker cable causing the brightness? Can you please advise what cable I need & the best place to buy it. Thanks in advance.

286944_1.jpg

286944_2.jpg

286944_3.jpg