Sign in to follow this  
mirak

How to access D-Link NVR without internet?

My neighborhood HOA bought a D-Link IP security camera setup for our swimming pool a few years ago. Nobody kept a manual or has a very good idea how to use it.

The system is three IP cams connected via Cat5 to a D-Link router, which is in turn connected to a D-Link DNR-322l video recorder and a cable modem for internet access.

We can sorta view live footage of the cams using the D-Link iPhone app, and apparently the mydlink.com website allows us to rewind/review video.

Anybody know how to connect directly to the NVR without an internet connection to review video? I'd appreciate some instructions.

It seems pretty stupid for us to pay $50/mo for an internet connection at the pool house for a pool that is closed 8 months out of the year just so someone can maybe review video once in a blue moon. I'd like to suspend the internet service and if some vandalism occurs over the winter, just trot down to the pool house with a laptop to review the video. It almost never happens.

Thanks for your help!

By the way another, maybe an even easier option would be for me to just disconnect the DNR-322l and plug it into my home network with internet connection anytime I need to review video, right? When I finish, I could plug it back in at the pool house. Would this cause problems? Would I need to change any configuration for that to work?

Your NVR should have an IP address.

My setup I have 8 IP cameras connected to a POE switch, the POE switch has one cat5 cable to the back of my router. My NVR is also plugged into the back of my router. If I plug a computer (or use wifi), within my house - I can type in the NVR IP address and I have access to all the NVR functionality.

If you don't know the NVR IP address, login to your routers config, it should show all the connected devices, you might be able to just double click on it from there,, or you can go in your browser and type in that IP address.

If I wanted to access it from outside of my house, I would have to have an internet connection and have the NVR IP address 'port forwarded'.

Thanks. I gave it a try last night and had no problem locating the NVR's IP address. I just plugged the NVR into my router, pulled up my router's configuration screen, and the "unidentified" NVR was listed with its IP.

So then I accessed the NVR's IP and the fun began. I get past the login page no problem, but whenever I try to access video, I either get runtime errors that crash Internet Explorer 11 (running on Windows 8.1), or I get a popup in Google Chrome telling me I need to install 2005 Microsoft C++ SP1 x86. I've installed, uninstalled, and reinstalled that service package to no avail. I have the same exact problem using a different PC on the same network. I've also upgraded the NVR to the most recent firmware. No luck.

D-Link told me to try running IE11 as an administrator. I'll give that a shot tonight when I get home. What a pain in the rear.

Based on Google searches, I found a thread describing the same problem, but it's from 2014 and no definitive solution was reached. Some got it working - some didn't.

If anyone else has suggestions, I'd really appreciate it. The NVR is a D-Link DNR-322l. Thanks!

Fixed it. Had to install Firefox browser and now it works. Won't work with IE11 or Chrome. This is a "know issue" so maybe it'll be addressed with a new firmware release in the future.