sichuan

OUTDOOR IP CAMERA CONNECTIONS

I was initially going to go with a low end analog 720p HD security system but after reading several threads I've decided to instead go with a mid-price digital IP system using 12 to 16 cameras and a 16 port NVR. The cameras will not have sound capability. I expect to have a few thousand dollars invested by the time I'm done with the installation of the system. I've searched for hours online and I can't find answers to what I need to know.

Do outdoor IP cameras use a single LAN cable for both power and video, with no other cables necessary? Do all outdoor IP cameras have a female connecting port? Is the connecting port a part of the camera itself or is there a cable that extends out of the camera and the camera mount for the connection? Will I need only male connectors at both ends of the cables connecting the cameras to the NVR?

I'm going to be purchasing a 1000 ft. spool of Cat6a shielded cable, the shielded RJ45 connectors, a tool for attaching the connectors to the cables and a device to check the continuity of the cables once I attach the connectors.

Thank you for your time and any assistance provided.

Do outdoor IP cameras use a single LAN cable for both power and video, with no other cables necessary?

Yes, as long as the camera is POE (power over Ethernet) capable, then your cat6 cable can provide both power and video. You will however need a POE switch or an NVR that is POE.

Do all outdoor IP cameras have a female connecting port?

Yes, a female RJ45 port.

Is the connecting port a part of the camera itself or is there a cable that extends out of the camera and the camera mount for the connection?

Could be either option, just depends on the camera you buy.

Will I need only male connectors at both ends of the cables connecting the cameras to the NVR?

Correct

Thank you very much, mattaggie. I appreciate your prompt reply. I'm going to go with a sixteen port POE NVR and IP66 POE cameras. I want to be able to use a 24 inch HD 1080p monitor with the NVR. Most of my outdoor cameras will be dome, some of them varifocal, and probably three to four bullets. The bullets may or may not have to be varifocal. None of them will be motorized and I will not be using any PTZ or thermal cameras. I want IR capabilities on all the cameras, including the inside domes. I imagine I'll end up installing three POE indoor domes. I'll have to provide a layout of the outside of my home and the land surrounding it when I seek information about the best cameras. I'm still researching frame rates, megapixels, lenses and so forth. I'll want to be able to view the land and also the entrance doors, garage door and windows.

I've been doing a lot of research on cameras and I think I'll go with FLIR, Dahua or Lorex, which seem to be good cameras. I'll probably build a system instead of buying a packaged system. Do you have any recommendations on which of these three camera brands would be better or do you have recommendations of your own? I'm willing to put three to four thousand dollars into the system.

After doing more research concerning the attachment of the RJ45 connectors I've decided to buy manufactured lengths of Cat6a cables because I don't believe that I'm capable of accurately attaching the connectors at each end and it will also eliminate any need for me to purchase a connector tool and LAN testing device. I had initially decided to go with shielded cable and connectors but after a lot of reading I've determined that it may not be necessary and in fact may create problems.

Thank you again for your time and assistance.

I use Geovision, so I cant really comment on the brands your looking at. Attaching the Ethernet ends isn't rocket science, but it does take a bit of practice. The only downside to buying pre-made cables is it may be easier to run cables that don't have a head. The head obviously makes the holes you go through need to be bigger than if it were just cable. That may or may not be an issue for your installation. Its not a bad skill to learn to be able to crimp on RJ45 ends.

After doing more research concerning the attachment of the RJ45 connectors I've decided to buy manufactured lengths of Cat6a cables because I don't believe that I'm capable of accurately attaching the connectors at each end and it will also eliminate any need for me to purchase a connector tool and LAN testing device. I had initially decided to go with shielded cable and connectors but after a lot of reading I've determined that it may not be necessary and in fact may create problems.

It is not that hard to use the RJ45 connectors. It is way better to have the cables the exact length you want them, than to have the spare cable just laying around. And also it is easier to pull cable without the connectors, than with the connectors already in place.

You do not need shielded cable/connectors, it will make the job more difficult without any added benefits.

I use Geovision, so I cant really comment on the brands your looking at. Attaching the Ethernet ends isn't rocket science, but it does take a bit of practice. The only downside to buying pre-made cables is it may be easier to run cables that don't have a head. The head obviously makes the holes you go through need to be bigger than if it were just cable. That may or may not be an issue for your installation. Its not a bad skill to learn to be able to crimp on RJ45 ends.

Thanks again for all your help, mattaggie. I really do appreciate the time you have taken to assist me. I depend on people like you and the others for advice. Using preassembled cables won't be an issue for me because I have easy access to the soffits and peaks on my roof through the attic. I'm not worried about the size of the holes I'll need to drill because the cameras will cover the holes on the soffits and peaks and I'll run the cables down an inside wall and through a double gang wall plate. I'll probably go ahead and buy a good cable tester just to make sure that the cables are good to go before and after running them.

sichuan wrote:

Sorry. I made a mistake while compiling this reply and had to delete it. My reply is below.

Edited by Guest

It is not that hard to use the RJ45 connectors. It is way better to have the cables the exact length you want them, than to have the spare cable just laying around. And also it is easier to pull cable without the connectors, than with the connectors already in place.

You do not need shielded cable/connectors, it will make the job more difficult without any added benefits.

Thank you for your assistance, Securame. I appreciate it very much. I've always been a DIYer and I demand excellence from both myself and others I hire for work that I feel I'm not qualified to do and quite frankly, after reading several articles from Belden and other Cat6a manufacturers and installers about crimping Cat6a cable connectors I simply don't trust myself.

My next door neighbor is a retired electrical engineer and he tells me that I shouldn't have a problem with the Cat6a cables being subject to interference as long as the Cat6a cables run perpendicular to any existing electrical wires in my attic and walls and not parallel and next to them but I like the added protection of shielded Cat6a cables and they're not that much more expensive than unshielded cables. You'll have to excuse my ignorance but why will shielded cables be more difficult to install? Last year I ran several hundred feet of shielded Cat6a cables in my basement to three bedrooms and my living room to service broadband TV service, broadband telephone service and Blu-ray players and I didn't experience any problems.

I certainly have trust in your knowledge and experience and I sincerely appreciate your assistance but I can, at times, be ignorant, stubborn and bullheaded. At least that's what my wife tells me all the time. Thank you again. It's people like you and others that I depend on at times. I don't know what I'd do without people who are willing to sacrifice their time to help others in need.

By the way, I apologize for my above empty post. I made a mistake with your quote and had to delete everything from my reply and start over again. I tried to alter your reply and use only part of it but I apparently don't know how the "Quote" works. I couldn't find a way to delete my entire incorrect reply.

My next door neighbor is a retired electrical engineer and he tells me that I shouldn't have a problem with the Cat6a cables being subject to interference as long as the Cat6a cables run perpendicular to any existing electrical wires in my attic and walls and not parallel and next to them but I like the added protection of shielded Cat6a cables and they're not that much more expensive than unshielded cables. You'll have to excuse my ignorance but why will shielded cables be more difficult to install? Last year I ran several hundred feet of shielded Cat6a cables in my basement to three bedrooms and my living room to service broadband TV service, broadband telephone service and Blu-ray players and I didn't experience any problems.

Do your TV service, broadband telephone, or blu-ray players use/need shielded network? I think the answer will be no, and in that case, the fact that you use shielded or unshielded cable makes no difference at all. This is a random switch, notice the metal plating on the front, and a shielded RJ45 connector like what you can find on routers, switches, etc:

284956_1.png

284956_1.jpg

Now here is a typical Hikvision camera, look at the RJ45 connector. Notice that it is all plastic, it doesn't give a damn about your cable being shielded or not, it won't use the shielding.

284956_2.jpg

Shielded cables and connectors are more expensive, and the connectors are a bit more difficult to install. The cable is also a bit thicker, but I think that the size difference might be ignored unless you have to pull a ton of cables toguether. It is harder to twist, which makes it harder to go around corners.

I have even seen STP installed with normal RJ45 (unshielded) connectors. The person that installed it thought that with that cable everything would be better. Yup, with normal connectors, you bet it will!

For the shielding to make effect you have to use shielded cable, shielded connectors, and have equipment that makes use of the shielding on both ends of the network cable, so the shield is grounded. If whatever is connected on both ends of that cable does not have a metal RJ45 connector, the shielding does nothing. In fact some reading even suggests that FTP/STP cable without a proper installation/grounding is actually worse that normal UTP cable.

Thank you very much for the education, Securame.

"Do your TV service, broadband telephone, or blu-ray players use/need shielded network?"

I checked them all and the answer is "no".

"Now here is a typical Hikvision camera, look at the RJ45 connector. Notice that it is all plastic, it doesn't give a damn about your cable being shielded or not, it won't use the shielding."

And in all probability any cameras and NVR I purchase will have all plastic connectors. I now understand why you say shielded cables will offer no advantages to me. I am humbled. I just wish my neighbor would have explained this to me or that I could have deduced this fact during all my online research of cameras, NVRs, cables, connectors, etc, etc, etc but then again, I'm just a retired cement mason/plasterer, not an installer or data tech person. I apologize for my ignorance and my stubbornness. I appreciate very much the time and effort you put into assisting me. I say that with all sincerity. I will purchase a 500 ft. spool of standard Cat6a cable. Although I told mattaggie that I didn't trust myself to properly attach the RJ45 connectors both you and he have given me the encouragement I need to do the connections myself. I'm almost certain that I'll make mistakes initially but that's the way we learn. Can you recommend a high quality brand of Cat6a cable, high quality compression connectors, a high quality compression tool, perhaps the ratcheting type and a high quality device to check miswired RJ45 connectors and continuity?

Since you are using the Hikvision camera as an educational illustration I would like to ask you something. I always spend considerable time researching items and/or issues before I seek help from others because I don't think it's fair to expect others to do my work for me. Sometimes, as with the shielded cables, I arrive at the wrong conclusions and need to be educated by knowledgeable people such as yourself. After having spent days researching reviews and manufacturers' websites concerning IP cameras I decided to concentrate my further research on three brands of IP cameras, those brands being FLIR, Dahua and Lorex. However, I have also seen a lot of praise for Hikvision IP cameras. I ignored the Hikvision cameras, regardless of the praise and their lower cost, because of all the reviews I read stating that instructions and GUIs were sometimes in Chinese, that customer and technical support for Hikvision was hard to access and that it was often difficult to locate the IP addresses of the cameras. I also read that Hikvision has a huge chuck of the market and that most users of Hikvision IP cameras consider them to be of high quality and high functionality. Could you please let me know what you think of Hikvision IP cameras and give me your recommendation on which brand of cameras I should go with, Hikvision or otherwise? All my cameras will require IR, both inside and outside the house. I would appreciate it very much.

As of this time and at this stage of the game I have chosen the FLIR POE NVR located in the link below to go with the FLIR POE cameras I will purchase, if I indeed decide to go with FLIR. I chose this series (the model number being Flir DNR516P6 16Ch Full HD NVR with 16 PoE Ports, 6TB) because of the number of ports, as I don't want to do any new 110 volt wiring in the attic to provide power outlets for any switches, which would enable me to reduce the number of cable runs, because of the self-discovery of the camera addresses and because of the amount of drive space, as I will use the storage continuously instead of motion activated only. It's an expensive NVR but it has a lot of attributes that I'm looking for. Have you ever used or worked with FLIR systems? If so, what do you think of them?

I've read that Hikvision makes POE cameras that are ONVIF compliant so if your camera recommendation is Hikvision and there are ONVIF NVRs out there with automatic camera address discovery and good third party software that will work with the Hikvision cameras I'll certainly put Hikvision at the top of my list. I'll put a lot of weight on the recommendations you make.

I still have a lot of research to do before I determine what I need concerning camera megapixels/resolution, field of view, varifocal/fixed lens, so on and so forth but those are issues for another time and another thread.

Thank you again for your time and any assistance provided.

http://www.flir.com/security/display/?id=68369

Edited by Guest

As of this time and at this stage of the game I have chosen the FLIR POE NVR located in the link below to go with the FLIR POE cameras I will purchase, if I indeed decide to go with FLIR. I chose this series (the model number being Flir DNR516P6 16Ch Full HD NVR with 16 PoE Ports, 6TB)

Who do you think build NVR for Flir ?

As of this time and at this stage of the game I have chosen the FLIR POE NVR located in the link below to go with the FLIR POE cameras I will purchase, if I indeed decide to go with FLIR. I chose this series (the model number being Flir DNR516P6 16Ch Full HD NVR with 16 PoE Ports, 6TB)

Who do you think build NVR for Flir ?

Well, ak357, after I read your comment, I decided to do a little research online. I couldn't find a direct answer as to who makes FLIR's cameras, but I did come across some information. Let me take a wild guess. Hikvision, the world’s leading supplier of video surveillance products and solutions, makes FLIR NVRs and cameras. That would be my guess. Am I correct? I noticed that a certain model Hikvision NVR looks very similar to one of FLIR's NVRs. If Hikvision does in fact supply NVRs and IP cameras to FLIR I would be a fool to buy FLIR branded products when I can get the exact same products from Hikvision for far less money.

Well, ak357, after I read your comment, I decided to do a little research online. I couldn't find a direct answer as to who makes FLIR's cameras, but I did come across some information. Let me take a wild guess. Hikvision, the world’s leading supplier of video surveillance products and solutions, makes FLIR NVRs and cameras. That would be my guess. Am I correct? I noticed that a certain model Hikvision NVR looks very similar to one of FLIR's NVRs. If Hikvision does in fact supply NVRs and IP cameras to FLIR I would be a fool to buy FLIR branded products when I can get the exact same products from Hikvision for far less money.

You are on right track

and about me

I do live in Canada

ak357, being on the right track and being correct are two different matters entirely. Does Hikvision make the NVRs and IP cameras for FLIR?

I assume that you're somewhere in Vancouver, British Columbia. My wife has a first cousin in Vancouver.

ak357, being on the right track and being correct are two different matters entirely. Does Hikvision make the NVRs and IP cameras for FLIR?

I assume that you're somewhere in Vancouver, British Columbia. My wife has a first cousin in Vancouver.

Hi no not since December Flir is now dahua . Lorex before take over was using hikvision and December both dahua and flir announced there partnership.

Both flir and ic realtime sell the pro range all new 4K H 265

And in all probability any cameras and NVR I purchase will have all plastic connectors. I now understand why you say shielded cables will offer no advantages to me. I am humbled. I just wish my neighbor would have explained this to me or that I could have deduced this fact during all my online research of cameras, NVRs, cables, connectors, etc, etc, etc but then again, I'm just a retired cement mason/plasterer, not an installer or data tech person. I apologize for my ignorance and my stubbornness. I appreciate very much the time and effort you put into assisting me. I say that with all sincerity. I will purchase a 500 ft. spool of standard Cat6a cable. Although I told mattaggie that I didn't trust myself to properly attach the RJ45 connectors both you and he have given me the encouragement I need to do the connections myself. I'm almost certain that I'll make mistakes initially but that's the way we learn. Can you recommend a high quality brand of Cat6a cable, high quality compression connectors, a high quality compression tool, perhaps the ratcheting type and a high quality device to check miswired RJ45 connectors and continuity?

Making UTP cables and crimping RJ45 connectors is not that hard, really. I am sure there are tons of youtube videos that can perfectly show you how it is done.

I am from Spain, so I really can not point you anywhere to buy good equipment in USA/Canada, but I am sure plenty of people here in the forum will be able to do so. With a good cable (copper, good thickness, etc) you should be fine with normal cable length you can find in a home. I have even tried to use a 300m (that's a full roll, 1000 feet?) pull with POE and IP camera and it has worked. I do not find any problems with POE IP cameras up to 150-200m when using good wire.

Since you are using the Hikvision camera as an educational illustration I would like to ask you something. I always spend considerable time researching items and/or issues before I seek help from others because I don't think it's fair to expect others to do my work for me. Sometimes, as with the shielded cables, I arrive at the wrong conclusions and need to be educated by knowledgeable people such as yourself. After having spent days researching reviews and manufacturers' websites concerning IP cameras I decided to concentrate my further research on three brands of IP cameras, those brands being FLIR, Dahua and Lorex. However, I have also seen a lot of praise for Hikvision IP cameras. I ignored the Hikvision cameras, regardless of the praise and their lower cost, because of all the reviews I read stating that instructions and GUIs were sometimes in Chinese, that customer and technical support for Hikvision was hard to access and that it was often difficult to locate the IP addresses of the cameras. I also read that Hikvision has a huge chuck of the market and that most users of Hikvision IP cameras consider them to be of high quality and high functionality. Could you please let me know what you think of Hikvision IP cameras and give me your recommendation on which brand of cameras I should go with, Hikvision or otherwise? All my cameras will require IR, both inside and outside the house. I would appreciate it very much.

Can't say anything about FLIR and Lorex, I think those brands only exist in USA/Canada. Surely not in Spain. About Hikvision, I have been using Hikvision products since about 2007, in fact our company used to import Hikvision from China when they were not that big (and their products were not that good). When I joined this forum back in 2009 noone here cared about Hikvision or Dahua, and everyone was talking about brands I knew by name, but most of them I had never used. But with the years both have been growing at a rate of 50% every year, they have become the #1 and #2 CCTV manufacturers, and now everyone loves them.

I wouldn't have a problem recommending either one of them to anyone, it is just a matter of taste. I can say things that are better on Hikvision, but I can also say things that are better on Dahua. But they both offer great quality for the price you pay.

Thanks, ak357. I appreciate the information. The cameras I've looked at from Hikvision, Dahua and FLIR all seem to be nice, quality cameras. I'm trying to build my own system with the cameras I need instead of going to Amazon for packaged systems, which don't offer the cameras and NVR that I want. I wish there were more H265 IP camera offerings available.

Thanks, ak357. I appreciate the information. The cameras I've looked at from Hikvision, Dahua and FLIR all seem to be nice, quality cameras. I'm trying to build my own system with the cameras I need instead of going to Amazon for packaged systems, which don't offer the cameras and NVR that I want. I wish there were more H265 IP camera offerings available.

Whats the obsession with h.265? Storage is cheap.

It does expand storage but that is not the point it allows better reliable 4K ...

I don't have an obsession with it. It's just that H.265 has significant advantages over H.264, two of them being lower bandwidth consumption and higher video quality. I don't particularly care about storage. I'll add as much storage as I need. I've had a lot of vandalism problems lately and a recent breaking and entering, which is why I'm going to install a security camera system. I'll be using 16 cameras. The reason I say that I wish there were more H.265 devices available is simply because the more a product floods the market the cheaper it will be. Cutthroat competition is a wonder thing for consumers. I anticipate putting around four thousand dollars into the system as a start, for the NVR and first eight cameras. I don't throw money away but I have the money to spend for quality products. I don't want the absolute best products but neither do I want cheap, less than ideal products. I look for products somewhere between mid-priced and expensive.

Here's the thing and I'll be honest with you, ak357. I'm a retired construction worker, a cement mason/tile setter/plasterer. That's all I am. Nothing more and nothing less. I know nothing about the tech industry. I know nothing about electronic devices except how to use and enjoy them. I've never installed a security system. But I'm also a reader; always have been and always will be. I always do a lot of research before I buy or do anything and I learn a lot from it. At times I misinterpret the information I read or fail to learn/understand certain aspects of it. I make mistakes and need to be corrected by people such as Securame and others. I take their recommendations seriously. That's why I'm here. I prefer to do a job one time, not having to go back and correct mistakes or reconfigure something to gain the advantages I missed by doing it incorrectly the first time. It may be weeks or months before I finally install my security camera system. I won't install it until I'm certain that I haven't overlooked anything. Technology is advancing at a speed never before seen and I like to somewhat future proof the products I buy to the best extent I can with the money I have.

At times I depend on help from others, such as forum members, to correct my mistakes and avoid making mistakes in the first place. Again, that's why I'm here at CCTV Forums. I have nothing but respect and admiration for all those who are willing to sacrifice their time away from their family members to provide me with that assistance and knowledge.

I don't have an obsession with it. It's just that H.265 has significant advantages over H.264, two of them being lower bandwidth consumption and higher video quality. I don't particularly care about storage. I'll add as much storage as I need. I've had a lot of vandalism problems lately and a recent breaking and entering, which is why I'm going to install a security camera system. I'll be using 16 cameras. The reason I say that I wish there were more H.265 devices available is simply because the more a product floods the market the cheaper it will be. Cutthroat competition is a wonder thing for consumers. I anticipate putting around four thousand dollars into the system as a start, for the NVR and first eight cameras. I don't throw money away but I have the money to spend for quality products. I don't want the absolute best products but neither do I want cheap, less than ideal products. I look for products somewhere between mid-priced and expensive.

Here's the thing and I'll be honest with you, ak357. I'm a retired construction worker, a cement mason/tile setter/plasterer. That's all I am. Nothing more and nothing less. I know nothing about the tech industry. I know nothing about electronic devices except how to use and enjoy them. I've never installed a security system. But I'm also a reader; always have been and always will be. I always do a lot of research before I buy or do anything and I learn a lot from it. At times I misinterpret the information I read or fail to learn/understand certain aspects of it. I make mistakes and need to be corrected by people such as Securame and others. I take their recommendations seriously. That's why I'm here. I prefer to do a job one time, not having to go back and correct mistakes or reconfigure something to gain the advantages I missed by doing it incorrectly the first time. It may be weeks or months before I finally install my security camera system. I won't install it until I'm certain that I haven't overlooked anything. Technology is advancing at a speed never before seen and I like to somewhat future proof the products I buy to the best extent I can with the money I have.

At times I depend on help from others, such as forum members, to correct my mistakes and avoid making mistakes in the first place. Again, that's why I'm here at CCTV Forums. I have nothing but respect and admiration for all those who are willing to sacrifice their time away from their family members to provide me with that assistance and knowledge.

You will not see any discernible difference in video quality with h.265. Dont let the manufactures mumbo jumbo fool you. Bandwidth is a non issue, just use a gigabit network, you will never saturate it for your install.

"You will not see any discernible difference in video quality with h.265. Dont let the manufactures mumbo jumbo fool you. Bandwidth is a non issue, just use a gigabit network, you will never saturate it for your install."

I certainly understand what you're saying about the bandwidth associated with a home network but I've seen several examples of the difference in video clarity and H.265 is without a doubt better. I'm already using a gigabit network.

I wouldn't have a problem recommending either one of them to anyone, it is just a matter of taste. I can say things that are better on Hikvision, but I can also say things that are better on Dahua. But they both offer great quality for the price you pay.

Thank you again for your time and assistance, Securame. I really do appreciate it. I'll probably go with either Hikvision or Dahua IP POE cameras, since either company will probably be less expensive than FLIR. I'll have to spend some time outside taking measurements, determining how I want to cover each area of the house and yard, which will determine whether I need a bullet or a dome for each area, which cameras will need to be varifocal, the field of view I need, the lens size I need for each camera, the megapixels of each camera, etc, etc, etc. That will be the hardest part. I'll then spend some time looking at their NVRs and cameras, determining which cameras and NVR I'll need. I'll want domes and bullets for outside and probably four domes for inside. I want all the cameras, both inside and outside, to have night vision so I have to be certain I select the proper dome cameras so that the IR lights don't give me light reflection problems at night. I'm new at this so it will take me a few weeks to design my system. I realize that a qualified company representative or installer could determine these things in short order but I want to do this myself. I'm retired, have a lot of time on my hands and I'll learn a lot in the process.

I'm going to use some CAD software to design my system. I want to be certain that I get the proper number of cameras, which will probably be less than I had initially thought, the proper types of cameras, the proper lenses in the cameras to cover the fields of view I'll be dealing with and to ascertain the proper angles of the cameras. I'll then have to determine the types of sensors and megapixels used in the various cameras I'll be looking for. I don't want too little and I don't want too much as far as the sensors and megapixels are concerned. I want good resolution. I'm looking for good video clarity.

It's too cold in northeast Ohio at this time of year to be doing much of anything outside so I'm researching a few other things. One of them involves the NVRs. I think I'll go with either a Hikvision or a Dahua system. Does anyone know what kind of software Hikvision and Dahua NVRs use? Is it proprietary software? If so, can third party software be used instead with their NVRs and work fully with their systems? Are Hikvision and Dahua NVRs and cameras ONVIF compliant? Is there really any great need for them to be ONVIF compliant? What I'm looking for is software that is easy to use and provides a very good interface. I'll have no need to control any of the cameras, other than turning them on and off, as none of them will be motorized. I may use a varifocal lens on a few of the cameras but they will be manually adjusted. I won't be using any PTZ cameras. Can anyone recommend some good CCTV software?

Thank you again for your time and any assistance provided.

If so, can third party software be used instead with their NVRs and work fully with their systems? Are Hikvision and Dahua NVRs and cameras ONVIF compliant? Is there really any great need for them to be ONVIF compliant? What I'm looking for is software that is easy to use and provides a very good interface.

Avigilon