Sign in to follow this  
ekcopyephilips

Remote location monitoring

Hi All

Im from the UK and have a question regarding a remote location that had no phone line but has got 3G coverage.

Is it possible to buy an off the shelf cam and DVR system and connect this to a 3G hub so that i can get alerts on my iphone if an alarm is activated, say after everything has been closed for the day and also i want to be able to dial into that hub to look at the live video of the camera to see whats going on, during an alert condition or otherwise.

There is an astounding array of cameras so im very confused over what i should be looking at getting.

Any help welcomed, im not techy, so ill need any replies in easy to understand answers. I have tried to use Swann cameras from Maplins before, but found that they never worked and in hte end took them back for a refund.

Cheers

Mike

3G routers are not to expensive but................they may not work for you to Log in remotely, you would get alarms sent to you just couldn't check them out.

To log into a security system from remote location requires you to have an internet address to contact and then the Local address of the Camera or Recorder.

Problem with 3G routers is that the cell service Providers don't always keep IP address "alive" when system is in stand by, not actively using the internet.

When you surf the web on a cell phone you are using an IP address assigned for that session, when you are done that IP address goes back into the pool, so no one could contact you using the IP address you were just using.

DDNS is used so even when you don't have a fixed IP address the Device(recorder) can send pings to DDNS server and it will note the return IP address's to contact the recorder.

You can then log in to the DDNS server and it will forward you to the Recorder using the last "pinged" IP address's from the Recorder.

Cell phone providers change the IP address too often and often don't allow DDNS servers to get full return IP address, so no way to contact the recorder remotely.

But I did find this UK website: http://www.3grouterstore.co.uk/3G/3G_CCTV.html

Same as we would use over here for that, just in pounds and has local provider info.

You can.

However, some normal 3/4G Router doesn't manage connection well.

When they lost internet connection, you'll need to physically restart the router to regain the router.

You might want to consider putting in a timer to reboot the timer at interval since you mentioned it's at a remote location.

Otherwise, you might want to invest in a industrial 3/4G Router instead.

These normally are better in terms of managing the router uptime.

They have functions to "ping" the internet and restart after certain numbers of failed tries.

Hi All

Thanks for the replys so far. Ive seen on youtube a guy from Ireland setting up and selling a system, almost perfect fro my needs BUT, he uses a DVR, i would need to use an NVR due to not being able to physically power the cameras in their location, he also uses a 3Three dongle and external booster. He doesnt mention it cutting out tho.

I would be interested in industrial 3G hub. It basically needs to work, i dont want to be messing about in complicated network settings every few days. So if any recomendations for industrial 3G systems please let me know. Lastly would an NVR support working with a 3G system or would it need to be permanently connected to a laptop, and a 3G dongle into the laptop?

Is Hikvision a good make to go for, ive only looked at them as they seem to be mentioned so often.

Cheers

Mike

Hi Tom

I am in South Norfolk, the area im in is like the Bermuda triangle, we are the last to get anything remotely related to modern communications, we have only just had 3G boosted, 4G? whats that. The providers wont bother with 4G here, its only in bigger towns at the moment, places like Norwich & Lowestoft. So im stuck with using 3G for the moment.

Cheers

Mike