ajaykumargaur

Analog camera to IP converter

Hi,

Can we change our old 700 TVL BNC output camera into ip camera using some converter?

Hi. Yes you can with encoders .... But it's going to be expensive you might find its cheaper to use your existing cameras and change your recorder for a hybrid and add ip cameras ... And when you have one of your old cameras go then replace with ip at a later time

Hi,

Can we change our old 700 TVL BNC output camera into ip camera using some converter?

Depends how many you have. If you have 4, Hikvision makes a nice encoder that's about $250. I access it with Hikvision's software and have it store video on a HikVision DVR\NVR but I can easily get it to store on an NFS share or SD card. Most encoders have a max resolution of WD1, not quite 720p, at least the ones I saw. The Encoders I have seen only use one ip address and it is up to the software/hardware you are using to figure out the device has X number of cameras on that IP address. Not sure how some software packages deal with camera licensing and encoders. HikVision makes a 16 channel encoder for around $700-1000 dollars but you can get cheap DVRs for that.

HDView on Amazon sells a 16 analog DVR + 16 ip system for about $600. HDview just relabels chinese models, not sure if the DVR I mentiioned is a Hikvision rebrand. I did buy 5 HDView compact ip dome cameras which are HikVision and they are working out great, the Hikvision NVR treats them just like Hikvision cameras. HDView support has been good through email. I like them because their office and warehouse are in Los Angeles. I can buy on Amazon and have it next day.

I just bought the HikVision Turbo 16 channel + 18 channel IP that holds 8 drives, $1200(drives extra). I was surprised to find that some of the cameras at a location were better than I thought, must have been limited by the old DVR. Software is a little buggy when you have dead cameras active on it, had a view crashes. Disabled the dead channels and it has been working like a champ. The dead channels will be sorted out shortly, just old bad cables.

As for replacing old cameras with IP, as one old camera dies, I put in a HikVision Turbo Bullets. With the new DVR the 2M pixel 1080p, they look great. If your cabling is still in good shape, don't be in a rush to go to IP cameras. If people are price sensitive, I have no problems suggesting going analog with TVI.