Sign in to follow this  
Darren.m

Can I Have a Remote IP Camera From My DVR

I have a Hikvision IP DVR system installed at home with 3 PoE IP cameras and would like to add a wirelesss IP Camera to my boat for which I have a 4G SIm internet connection available on the boat. Home and boat are in different geographical locations. Would this work and if so, broady what would be involved. Obviously Im a novice but I have sucesfully installed the sytem at home and am able to remotly view it on my laptop or galaxy using IMVS. Any advise would be apreciated. Thanks, Darren.

Can it work? Yes. Will it work? Probably not, with so many things can go wrong.

The main problem will be the connection. You will need a great 4G connection, stable, with good bandwidth, and lots of data (unlimited). It won't be cheap. You will be streaming the camera to the NVR 24/7. You will need a 4G connection and a 4G router that allows you to open ports, so the camera can be accessed by the NVR. And you might even need a 4G connection with fixed IP (I say might, because I do not know if you can add an IP camera on the NVR with a domain; it will surely not work with hik-online with current firmwares, but it might work with other DDNS services like dyn.com).

If I was requested this by a customer, I would tell him that no, it can not be done. I would not even waste my time trying it. But if you already have everything you need (4G SiM card, a router, the camera, the NVR) you might give it a try.