Sign in to follow this  
Joeziah

Recommendations? Semi truck DVR system

Hello! I'm glad this forum exists!

I'm looking for some recommendations for a CCTV system.

Location: Truck! I want a system that I can place inside my Semi truck. I have some room but want to keep the DVR somewhat compact.

Needs: I want an 8 channel system.

Camera 1: Driver's seat/interior of cab

Camera 2: Forward looking (sort of a dash cam)

Camera 3: Passenger side mirrior

Camera 4: Driver's side mirrior

Camera 5: Trailer Backup camera

Camera 6: Interior Trailer camera

Camera 7: Passenger side trailer

Camera 8: Driver's side trailer

Exterior cameras to be resistant to rain/cold etc that I will encounter. I understand it probably will be near useless in the winter due to dirt/salt buildup until I can get it washed off at a pull off. It will sit behind a shield on top of the mirror so it doesn't need to be crazy.

Interior trailer camera needs to be a small dome camera able to withstand temperatures of up to -20 F and rotate etc.

Since I have a monitor in the truck above the driver's seat, I will use the cameras to assist in backing/merging in addition to my mirriors of course. This means they need to have a good frame rate in live view.

I would prefer the DVR system to have a quick way to toggle between the different channels, like a small number pad USB keyboard I could post up by the monitor.

Custom overlay would be cool for live view, Like a overlay of a green line that could indicate when I am squared with my trailer etc.

Quality is important but good frame rate and best live view experience is absolutely a priority.

I would like it to record all channels of course with a good frame rate, 48 hours of continuous footage would be preferred.

What system/cameras would you recommend?

Keep the cost $3000 or less please!

Thanks in advance.

IP camera system would not fit. Buy an 8 Ch -analog DVR that can record each 8 Channel in each D1/WD1 sized video. Then pick analog cameras for out doors.

IP camera system would not fit. Buy an 8 Ch -analog DVR that can record each 8 Channel in each D1/WD1 sized video. Then pick analog cameras for out doors.

Hi. joeziah. IP system is ideal for your application for a number of reasons.

Poe. Allows for image and power to each camera on a thin cat5

And be a plug and play .. This will also make it simple if your truck has a removable trailer.

There are not many small analog recorders ... But NVRs can be nice and small to install in your cab area.

The main part with doing your type of install is the size of camera

So equipment I would look for is a mini dahua 8 way NVR and the 2mp dahua golf ball size cameras. And you can do it for half of your budget.

The NVR 108-p dahua is there newest. Small unit it is the size of a mini iPad and a inch high. At around $110

image.jpeg.af067b6c1bda0f9093e39dd53b55026c.jpeg

image.jpeg.59176552b8756549e9e79afcf3bd937f.jpeg

One of drawbacks of IP System is much delay in Live View, due to compression procedure before being delivered to NVR and decompression before being displayed.

One of drawbacks of IP System is much delay in Live View, due to compression procedure before being delivered to NVR and decompression before being displayed.

a few milliseconds is "much delay" ?

It is only the same delay as analog.

But instead of replying to post with IP in them .... Take your time to read the post first.

This install is for a truck / lorry /waggon / big thing on wheels.

Analog will have 8 coax plus power which will take a lot to hide in a drivers cab not to mention also having to install camera power.

The delay .... You go to a analog system and move you hand while watching live. And you will see a slight delay which is the same as IP.

But milliseconds does not matter to this install ... Again read the post ..... It's for a waggon lorry and am only guessing but I think the op is looking along the lines of what you get from a dash cam but with enough cameras for the size of his vehicle

So a very un noticeable delay does not matter at all because the op will be driving and not watching a monitor 24/7.

I would of surgested TVI or CVI but the same problem with coax and also there are no mini recorders that could be hidden in the cab.

a few milliseconds is "much delay" ?

Please let me give you the number slightly over "a few milliseconds".

In 30 Frames Per Second System, one frame interval is given as 33 milli seconds.

In video compression, they usually start doing compression, at least two frames of a video sequence available. That means a minimum of two frame delays. One frame needs to be used as a reference image for compressing the next frame in que. The same applies for when starting to decompress. And they do not start displaying video sequence, at least two frames available. They do not start sending compressed bit stream files till getting their buffer memory more than half full, countable as 1 frame delay. The same applies for when triggering decompression at the NVR side. We did not count in the allowable Network Protocol Delay that Software engineers are enjoying as Buffering for a smooth and safe Traffic Flow. If you have IP camera system of less than 300 milli seconds of delay, that 's the one you can recommend anybody, anytime.

IP camera system of less than 300 milli seconds of delay, that 's the one you can recommend anybody, anytime.

Why would an IP camera have 300 milliseconds delay

30fps is only 33.3 milliseconds and that's a fact

But either way milliseconds are not noticeable for this application

Another lesson for you sunnykim

MP dash cam has the same 33.3 milliseconds but have you noticed it .. Have you heard of anyone complaining of the delay ...... No because it is not noticeable ..... Does it delay the recorded playback does it delay live on monitor ... No not as a noticable problem.

Now go back to ops first post and see op wants good images and op is not going to get that with D1

Other request is small compact .... Not going to have that with a big analog dvr.

The picture I posted is small it runs a 2.5 hd or can run a ssd which makes it one of the smallest Poe nvrs on the market.

Yet again sunnykim you take over another post with your D1 crap

Thanks for the discussion guys.

Just wanted to give you guys an update.

The delay is somewhat important, I can work with a small delay though. If someone runs up the side of my truck that quickly while I'm merging its their own fault. And I'll have it on camera!

I'm still not sure what cameras to use on the outside of the truck though, due to the weather I drive in, they could experience windchill factors of -40 F in the winter in places like North Dakota, Wyoming, Montana etc.

What about a Software option? I can buy one of those PCs that is basically a Monitor and mount it somewhere, run windows on it and have the live view through it?

I can buy a beasty external HDD system for storage.

I know a few Cisco POE switches that I could install easily in the truck for this application.

Ethernet is a must though, due to the aforementioned issues of space. Running wire is a pain on these trucks on a good day.

I do recommend analog systems. Very Very Cheap. Most of analog cameras are tough enough to survive out in the rugged field and market, for such long years. They can be connected to ethernet -copper-lines and to DVR box for a short distance. You can also consider HD analog (HD-AHD, HD-TVI, types) system which slightly costs a bit more. Both systems provide an instant spot viewing. As explained, the delays of IP camera systems are unavoidable. Hoping to keep us updated.

I do recommend analog systems. Very Very Cheap.

Sunnykim just because it's very very cheap does not mean it's good for the job.

Is he going to get a better image with 2 or 3mp image ??

As explained, the delays of IP camera systems are unavoidable.

Sunnykim..... Are the cameras going to be over a network ?? NO

SO WHY do you say it's going to be a problem ...... The delay is not even worth talking about.... A blink of an eye.

Thanks for the discussion guys.

Just wanted to give you guys an update.

The delay is somewhat important, I can work with a small delay though. If someone runs up the side of my truck that quickly while I'm merging its their own fault. And I'll have it on camera!

I'm still not sure what cameras to use on the outside of the truck though, due to the weather I drive in, they could experience windchill factors of -40 F in the winter in places like North Dakota, Wyoming, Montana etc.

What about a Software option? I can buy one of those PCs that is basically a Monitor and mount it somewhere, run windows on it and have the live view through it?

I can buy a beasty external HDD system for storage.

I know a few Cisco POE switches that I could install easily in the truck for this application.

Ethernet is a must though, due to the aforementioned issues of space. Running wire is a pain on these trucks on a good day.

Hi. Temperature is something that you can only try ...... But most cameras generate heat when in operation and if made from metal and small will hold that heat... That is why I recommended the golf ball size camera.

Also the NVR is only a little bigger than your hand

It does not make sence to start installing a network in a truck and using more inverters for power. Which is also another good reason to keep your install simple .... Save battery life when your vehicle is parked up.

I do recommend analog systems. Very Very Cheap. Most of analog cameras are tough enough to survive out in the rugged field and market, for such long years. They can be connected to ethernet -copper-lines and to DVR box for a short distance. You can also consider HD analog (HD-AHD, HD-TVI, types) system which slightly costs a bit more. Both systems provide an instant spot viewing. As explained, the delays of IP camera systems are unavoidable. Hoping to keep us updated.

What is it with you and analog cameras? Dial-up Internet is very cheap and reliable too, yet I don't see anyone recommending it for everything.

Yes an analog camera is Ok for some jobs, but you recommend it for *everything*, without even knowing specifics.

The original post does not seem to belong to your business. Please cool down to bed.

What is it with you and analog cameras? Dial-up Internet is very cheap and reliable too, yet I don't see anyone recommending it for everything.

Yes an analog camera is Ok for some jobs, but you recommend it for *everything*, without even knowing specifics.

The original post does not seem to belong to your business. Please cool down to bed.

I'm not so sure you're giving sound advice either, with you're analog obsession in full effect as always.

I'm not so sure you're giving sound advice either, with you're analog obsession in full effect as always.

Sunnykim a post does not belong to anyone it's a forum.

And if you read the post the op does want IP

Between you and daryl733 you both have to understand a post will get other replies