Sign in to follow this  
shockwave199

No-IP doing auto host updates for free accounts again?

For quite some time my free host names have required me to manually update the hosts once a month. They sent reminder emails to update and I'd update from them- very easy. A couple months ago I stopped getting reminder emails from them and I was afraid I'd lose my hosts so I was logging in there and updating within 30 days. This month I forgot to do it and didn't get reminder emails either. When I logged in, to my surprise my hosts had been updated hundreds of times during the month, which explains why I no longer get reminder emails. This is just the way their free hosts worked a couple years ago, before they made you manually do it or lose it. Have they reverted back to actually being cool about it again and not bothering us free account users? My DVR's and NVR's are certainly capable of being the host updater and it looks like they're letting that work again! Is this so? I received no word about the change, if it is. I've been with no-ip for 4 years now.

For quite some time my free host names have required me to manually update the hosts once a month. They sent reminder emails to update and I'd update from them- very easy. A couple months ago I stopped getting reminder emails from them and I was afraid I'd lose my hosts so I was logging in there and updating within 30 days. This month I forgot to do it and didn't get reminder emails either. When I logged in, to my surprise my hosts had been updated hundreds of times during the month, which explains why I no longer get reminder emails. This is just the way their free hosts worked a couple years ago, before they made you manually do it or lose it. Have they reverted back to actually being cool about it again and not bothering us free account users? My DVR's and NVR's are certainly capable of being the host updater and it looks like they're letting that work again! Is this so? I received no word about the change, if it is. I've been with no-ip for 4 years now.

Hi shockwave been a long time.

Yes November 2015 they upgraded long term verified accounts hope they keep it that way.

Yes November 2015 they upgraded long term verified accounts hope they keep it that way.

Thanks for that info. Now I'm not sure what to think because a couple days after I wrote this posts AND having logged into my account and manually updated my hosts, I got a reminder email to update my host, lol! Goofy for sure. I'm just gonna see what happens in 30 days again. Who knows!

Thanks for that info. Now I'm not sure what to think because a couple days after I wrote this posts AND having logged into my account and manually updated my hosts, I got a reminder email to update my host, lol! Goofy for sure. I'm just gonna see what happens in 30 days again. Who knows!

I didn't expect to see this discussed here, but I am seeing the same thing. I assumed it was some glitch and I won a mini-lottery. I haven't seen an email to re-verify for months at least. No complaints about that of course, but I don't know if I should be on the lookout for things to return the way they were.

Just checked my account. It claims expiration is every 30 days. Hmmmm.