videobruce

Upgrading existing 4 cam analog system to TVI?

After reading the pros & cons of HD TVI vs CVI, TVi seemed the logical choice to upgrade four composite analog cameras. I realize IP seems to be the most popular here and elsewhere, but using the existing cabling is important. (Besides, I'm not a fan of IP )

Anyway, I'm kinda surprised that this new format isn't as popular as I would of thought. More troublesome is the lack of compatible HD TVI DVR's. Worse is finding DVR's ones with composite out since the monitors that are being used are all in other rooms and are wired for composite (naturally). Most are only HDMI & VGA. Why VGA is still available is beyond me. I thought that mostly died with S-video.

VGA to composite adapters basically don't work, or at least work poorly according to dozens & dozens of reviews (one would think otherwise) unless you want to spend $72 or $84 for one which is ridiculous.

The HDMI port will be used for a single local monitor, so that can't be used w/o a DA (dist. amp), adding more unneeded expense & complexity.

Anyones two cents would be appreciated.

I forgot to add, the existing cameras are all 13 year old base level Panasonic 'box' cameras w/ auto iris zoom lenses (lenses would be reused).

Bottom line, using that arraignment with a composite feed to larger screen TV';s how much of a image improvement would there be?

I know HD-AHD DVRs support both HD-AHD cameras and anaog cameras at the same time. HD-TVI DVRs are likely to. Please make sure the HD-TVI DVR can support analog cameras and HD-TVI cameras at the same time.

With compositve (CVBS/NTSC/PAL) feed to a HDTV or UHD, you would get the limited video quality of composite. The DVR may support output of VGA or HDMI of 1080P. Please check.

I know HD-AHD DVRs support both HD-AHD cameras and anaog cameras at the same time. HD-TVI DVRs are likely to. Please make sure the HD-TVI DVR can support analog cameras and HD-TVI cameras at the same time.

With compositve (CVBS/NTSC/PAL) feed to a HDTV or UHD, you would get the limited video quality of composite. The DVR may support output of VGA or HDMI of 1080P. Please check.

Sunny get in your head

Virtually any TVI-DVR supports Analog crap and some support IP

After reading the pros & cons of HD TVI vs CVI, TVi seemed the logical choice to upgrade four composite analog cameras. I realize IP seems to be the most popular here and elsewhere, but using the existing cabling is important. (Besides, I'm not a fan of IP )

Anyway, I'm kinda surprised that this new format isn't as popular as I would of thought. More troublesome is the lack of compatible HD TVI DVR's. Worse is finding DVR's ones with composite out since the monitors that are being used are all in other rooms and are wired for composite (naturally). Most are only HDMI & VGA. Why VGA is still available is beyond me. I thought that mostly died with S-video.

Yes, they do exist

u just have to pay more

I am aware of the ability of a switchable composite/TVI output of TVI cameras. Some even have dual ports for local setup using a portable composite monitor.

The only DVR's I found that have composite out are from a clueless Chinese supplier that doesn't respond to messages or direct e-mails. That knocks them out of the running inspite of their prices that are 1/2 to 1/4 the price of comparable items.

Worse yet, their DVR's DO have composite outs. .

The only DVR's I found that have composite out are from a clueless Chinese supplier that doesn't respond to messages or direct e-mails. That knocks them out of the running inspite of their prices that are 1/2 to 1/4 the price of comparable items.

Worse yet, their DVR's DO have composite outs. .

I was talking about DVR, not cameras

HIK has few models with comp output

Check for example

DS-9004/9008/9016HWI-ST 960H Hybrid DVR - Hikvision