Sign in to follow this  
mwpetry

Easy to use DVR/NVR?

I've installed several systems for industrial facilities, but I need help for my next project. I need an easy to use recorder, where the end user can review video without a computer via TV and remote control. I need the end user controls to be as simple as possible (for an elderly person), but the backend can be complex since I'll be doing the setup and maintenance.

I prefer an IP solution, but analog will work as well. I'll specify the cameras after we choose the NVR. We won't be specifying high end cameras.

I've looked at some of the Swann/Lorex options, but I have no experience with the cheap stuff. My experience is limited to high end cameras and servers in an IT/industrial setting. I appreciate your opinion.

You should look for firms dealing specifically in security cameras/dvr/nvr rather than commercial manufacturers like Panasonic, Samsung. Although they make dedicated hardware for this purpose, they are quite expensive. Businesses with security cameras as the main focus can offer you quality hardware with excellent performance at reasonable prices.

Be noted that the systems costing more than U$10K, 10 years ago, can now cost you less than U$1K with a lot advanced features.

I wanted to thank everyone for the feedback. The man went to a pawn shop and bought a crummy little wireless system (4 cameras, one display). He seems happy with it. It saved me some effort.