Sign in to follow this  
Confussed02

Where should i go?

I've searched you site but maybe wasn't putting in the right 'words' to find it, If this has already been answered before, plz link me to the thred. Thanks

Anyways, im looking into buying my 1st video surveillance system

My question is; where can i buy a system that's NOT an ALL In ONE system? Meaning i can buy 1 or 2 parts at a time, and slowly build my system as funds become available.

I've looked at many different brands/manufactures websites; Lorex, Swann, Amcrest, Q See, X10, LaView, Sharx, Dahua, Foscam....... But it usually seems that they push for a FULL system in one purchase, I know i can buy the components individually, however it's not easy know what's compatible with what unless you get the 'All in One'.

For example, I'd like a system that all feeds go to a central location (DVR/NVR). It can be viewed/controlled at this central location & remotely accessed via Phone/tablet. 1 High End camera, (Like a High Resolution PTV Camera w/ maybe 2 way audio) & several 'lesser' camera's focusing in different area's around my house. So we're talking 4 - 6 camera's total. Then any extra's that can be tied into this system or are separate BUT work in conjunction with this video system (Motion activated Flood lights, alarms, etc...

Am i asking too much? Is there a website that'll tell list each component's specs in a clear way so i can piece my own system together? My starting budget is $400 Thanks in advance.

Confussed02 said:
I've searched you site but maybe wasn't putting in the right 'words' to find it, If this has already been answered before, plz link me to the thred. Thanks

Anyways, im looking into buying my 1st video surveillance system

My question is; where can i buy a system that's NOT an ALL In ONE system? Meaning i can buy 1 or 2 parts at a time, and slowly build my system as funds become available.

I've looked at many different brands/manufactures websites; Lorex, Swann, Amcrest, Q See, X10, LaView, Sharx, Dahua, Foscam....... But it usually seems that they push for a FULL system in one purchase, I know i can buy the components individually, however it's not easy know what's compatible with what unless you get the 'All in One'.

For example, I'd like a system that all feeds go to a central location (DVR/NVR). It can be viewed/controlled at this central location & remotely accessed via Phone/tablet. 1 High End camera, (Like a High Resolution PTV Camera w/ maybe 2 way audio) & several 'lesser' camera's focusing in different area's around my house. So we're talking 4 - 6 camera's total. Then any extra's that can be tied into this system or are separate BUT work in conjunction with this video system (Motion activated Flood lights, alarms, etc...

Am i asking too much? Is there a website that'll tell list each component's specs in a clear way so i can piece my own system together? My starting budget is $400 Thanks in advance.

My advice, and what I did, is to buy good IP cameras from wherever you want, including eBay, Amazon, etc. Then build your own NVR from a standard computer. This way you're not locked into using a specific brand of camera and not locked into a terrible NVR system.

Wow cool. Never thought of building my own server for a surveillance system. I'll continue to do research & search around the web some more...

If you don't mind, could i 'pick' your brain about this set up? (Was this your write up OR just one you emulated for your own set up?)

1, for the server's OS, you used Linux correct? I've always used Micro**** in my PC's so i know nothing about Linux. I have full copies of XP, & WIn 8 but idk if those OS's will work for server applications. IF not, is Linux '1st time user friendly' enough for a 'semi savvy' pc user to figure out?

2, will having multiple 2MP - 4MP IP camera's choke my router? Meaning, will my internet download/upload speed be affected? I play PC games form time to time, & these rely heavily on internet speed.

OR

are the camera's & server connected to a separate router all together? IF so, how is remote viewing possible?

3, It makes sense to separate the OS from the video feed. But i don't understand the function of the 'network drive' and why it is a 512GB drive, where as the video feed SSD is a smaller 240GB drive. I guess what im asking is, what is a network drive?

4, you used SSD's in you build over mechanical HDDs. Makes sense... Are these SSD's 'surveillance grade hard drive'?

Thank's for the input

Hi. If you have a $400 starting budget then I would buy standalone hybrid.

cvi tvi IP hybrid ..... Will give you lots of options for adding and building your system

Look at lorex dahua IC realtime

Wow cool. Never thought of building my own server for a surveillance system. I'll continue to do research & search around the web some more...

If you don't mind, could i 'pick' your brain about this set up? (Was this your write up OR just one you emulated for your own set up?)

1, for the server's OS, you used Linux correct? I've always used Micro**** in my PC's so i know nothing about Linux. I have full copies of XP, & WIn 8 but idk if those OS's will work for server applications. IF not, is Linux '1st time user friendly' enough for a 'semi savvy' pc user to figure out?

2, will having multiple 2MP - 4MP IP camera's choke my router? Meaning, will my internet download/upload speed be affected? I play PC games form time to time, & these rely heavily on internet speed.

OR

are the camera's & server connected to a separate router all together? IF so, how is remote viewing possible?

3, It makes sense to separate the OS from the video feed. But i don't understand the function of the 'network drive' and why it is a 512GB drive, where as the video feed SSD is a smaller 240GB drive. I guess what im asking is, what is a network drive?

4, you used SSD's in you build over mechanical HDDs. Makes sense... Are these SSD's 'surveillance grade hard drive'?

Thank's for the input

Happy to answer questions. The link I provided is my write up. My pictures, my equipment.

1. Yes I used Ubuntu Linux. The VMS I used is available for Windows and Linux so if you went with that one, Windows is fine too. I just wanted Linux because it's more flexible and can be much more lightweight. I think Ubuntu, and I'm sure other distros, are fairly easy for first time users. The web has lots of information, especially for Ubuntu, and installing the VMS I used on Linux was an absolute no brainer. The nice thing about doing your own server is you can try it out, and if you hate it, install Windows.

2. So, each camera streams video straight to the server where it's processed. The router and therefore Internet is not involved, unless you're doing some weird setup where the server is not on the same LAN as the cameras, which would be messy. If the cameras and server are on the same LAN like they should be, remote viewing works simply by opening a port on the router so it can get to the server.

3. My server also behaves as a network drive, a completely separate function from the camera stuff. It's a drive I can map my Windows computers to, like in an office environment. That's convenient because I can also connect to this remotely and access my files.

4. I question if a 'surveillance grade' drive is really a legitimate thing. I know they exist, I've seen them, but in my opinion, as long as the drive can handle the load, it shouldn't matter. And with my three cameras set to 3Mb/s bandwidth, even if all three are writing to the drive at once that's nothing, only about 1 megabyte/s. That drive gets 10-20GB/day written to it which is within the range of 'average desktop usage' so at this rate it'll last decades. But any HDD would be just fine too especially if using a regular computer with gigabytes of free RAM for buffering. My guess is those surveillance grade drives are more appropriate for a off the shelf NVR containing as little RAM as possible, meaning the drive must be read to accept data at any time.

Ask me anything. I think this stuff is great.

That's an easy issue. You can purchase one or two ip cameras which support cloud storage, you can remote control the cameras on your phone or pc, and you can also view the recording on cloud. There is no need to purchase the NVR.

If you need more cameras in the future, just purchase more cameras, then all of them will be one surveillance system.

Hope it can help you.

That's an easy issue. You can purchase one or two ip cameras which support cloud storage, you can remote control the cameras on your phone or pc, and you can also view the recording on cloud. There is no need to purchase the NVR.

If you need more cameras in the future, just purchase more cameras, then all of them will be one surveillance system.

Hope it can help you.

TO 'tomcctv' when you say Standalone Hybrid, are u referring to a Camera or a DVR/NVR? & what does this mean? Storage is build into the camera? or...

TO 'jrmymllr' Thank you for all the info. Hopefully in the next week or two I can start pricing out parts for the server & Camera's and build the initial set up. So I may have a few more questions once im actually putting it together.

TO 'nigeltsui' I thought about using Cloud storage, however, i seem to remember alot of poor review on the 'free' storage based Camera's. & to pay for storage (or get the features to make it worth a damn) wasn't cheep. Maybe not per month a large number, but over time....it adds up. If you recommend cloud storage, what/who do you use? Costs? Thoughts on 'quality' and 'reliability'?

Thanks again to everyone for you input.

TO 'tomcctv' when you say Standalone Hybrid, are u referring to a Camera or a DVR/NVR? & what does this mean? Storage is build into the camera? or...

TO 'jrmymllr' Thank you for all the info. Hopefully in the next week or two I can start pricing out parts for the server & Camera's and build the initial set up. So I may have a few more questions once im actually putting it together.

TO 'nigeltsui' I thought about using Cloud storage, however, i seem to remember alot of poor review on the 'free' storage based Camera's. & to pay for storage (or get the features to make it worth a damn) wasn't cheep. Maybe not per month a large number, but over time....it adds up. If you recommend cloud storage, what/who do you use? Costs? Thoughts on 'quality' and 'reliability'?

Thanks again to everyone for you input.

I wouldn't touch cloud storage with a very long stick. For one, it relies on your Internet connection. If that goes down for a period of time, then what? What if the company providing the cloud goes out of business? What if they decide to start charging everyone or raise the price? I'm a firm believer in any networking equipment being as independent as possible. In other words, don't set yourself up to rely on another system that's out of your control.

You'll be happier and better off long term with an NVR (preferably one built from standard parts).