Zulu1

Extending the SATA Hard disk 5m away!

Hi.

Has anyone extended their sata cable to their hard disk, away from the dvr 5 meters away?

I hear loud No No noooo you can't do that!!!!!

Yes you can do that! For the past 7 months, my hard disk is stored out of site 5 meters away from the DVR. Now the DVR instead of having a hard disk, has a "hard" bit of scrap metal inside, so it feels like it has some weight in it when you pick it up.

How I did it: the HD cable inside the dvr extended it so that could stretch to the back of the box (you can buy male/female extension cables any length) . Made a neat slot on the back of the actual box, where I attached an E-sata bracket male to female adapter and on it, From outside, I plugged the extension 5m cable!!. This way my Hard disk is out of the DVR box. So now the would be thief can take away the DVR box, but I will have the evidence!.

Adapter and 5X1m E-Sata extension cables available in Ebay China, no problem.

I hope it helps someone.

Ah, forgot to ask you guys, what you do if the bad boys turn OFF your electricity before they get in your property? You see, where I am, the electric meters are out on the street and they all have an MCB easily accessible in case of emergency, so the guys before they enter, turn your ±220V OFF and your CCTV is gone to sleep.

oops! There again there are UPS (uninterrupted power supply) dedicated to give 12v for each camera for up to 4hrs) Mine has 18x12V connections, where I connected 10 cameras, the DVR, the router and the satellite internet. (had to downsize the V outputs for the router and the internet)

And what happens if the cooling fan stops working? (don't forget it works 24/7) Because it happened, I fitted a thermostat which after getting above 30C it will cut the ±220V to the UPS.

I think I managed to think about everything " title="Applause" /> Thank you! " title="Applause" />

Hi.

Has anyone extended their sata cable to their hard disk, away from the dvr 5 meters away?

I hear loud No No noooo you can't do that!!!!!

Yes you can do that! For the past 7 months, my hard disk is stored out of site 5 meters away from the DVR. Now the DVR instead of having a hard disk, has a "hard" bit of scrap metal inside, so it feels like it has some weight in it when you pick it up.

How I did it: the HD cable inside the dvr extended it so that could stretch to the back of the box (you can buy male/female extension cables any length) . Made a neat slot on the back of the actual box, where I attached an E-sata bracket male to female adapter and on it, From outside, I plugged the extension 5m cable!!. This way my Hard disk is out of the DVR box. So now the would be thief can take away the DVR box, but I will have the evidence!.

Adapter and 5X1m E-Sata extension cables available in Ebay China, no problem.

I hope it helps someone.

Ah, forgot to ask you guys, what you do if the bad boys turn OFF your electricity before they get in your property? You see, where I am, the electric meters are out on the street and they all have an MCB easily accessible in case of emergency, so the guys before they enter, turn your ±220V OFF and your CCTV is gone to sleep.

oops! There again there are UPS (uninterrupted power supply) dedicated to give 12v for each camera for up to 4hrs) Mine has 18x12V connections, where I connected 10 cameras, the DVR, the router and the satellite internet. (had to downsize the V outputs for the router and the internet)

And what happens if the cooling fan stops working? (don't forget it works 24/7) Because it happened, I fitted a thermostat which after getting above 30C it will cut the ±220V to the UPS.

I think I managed to think about everything " title="Applause" /> Thank you! " title="Applause" />

You can extend as much as you want

but did you perform read/write test on "extended"drive?

The way I understand

eSATA is limited to 2 meters

The way I understand

I am NOT telling you!

of course it reads and writes and formats and partitions. That's why I posted this, because everybody says what you just said. Yes it works to my surprise too!

The way I understand

I am NOT telling you!

of course it reads and writes and formats and partitions. That's why I posted this, because everybody says what you just said. Yes it works to my surprise too!

Just because it works some of the time doesnt mean you wont have issues. Also, have you tested to see how the drive will react when power is disconnected? Are the video files corrupted? Did you try playing the files on a pc or second NVR.

Also, if you are paranoid about power being cutoff, the what are you going to do if the simply wear a mask...

Just because it works some of the time doesnt mean you wont have issues. Also, have you tested to see how the drive will react when power is disconnected? Are the video files corrupted? Did you try playing the files on a pc or second NVR.

Also, if you are paranoid about power being cutoff, the what are you going to do if the simply wear a mask...

From the number of your posts to this forum, I see you don't do much else than being a D******d. " title="Applause" />

So get out and get some fresh air, mate!

Get a life!

Idiots, I can find everywhere!

How is this even amazing?

Obviously the OP has never heard of iSCSI? SMB/CIFS? Or even external SAS?

Being able to locate your storage away from the recording machine is simple.

From the number of your posts to this forum, I see you don't do much else than being a D******d. " title="Applause" />

So get out and get some fresh air, mate!

Get a life!

Idiots, I can find everywhere!

Wow, an amateur that doenst like being called out on it. Why are you getting so upset? I asked valid questions...you go ahead and insult me directly. What a fool. Its generally novices like you who go crazy when presented with logical questions. You have no response...You are full of rage. You are an angry child. PLEASE seek professional therapy.