mc_nvr

Hikvision vs Dahua vs ... ?

I have been considering a surveillance system for a few years, but didn't like the analog systems that were available then. Now, with IP cameras and NVRs with built-in POE switches, I feel ready to take the plunge. I'm located in Texas (USA), if that makes any difference. I am looking for pros/cons of various NVR brands or models, and cameras as well.

I work with computers for my day job, and I'm not scared of having to do network configurations (within reason) or set up SMTP for email alerts, etc..

I plan to use hardwired cameras instead of wireless. I would like to have the cameras on a network of their own, each connecting directly to the NVR's built-in POE switch, then have the NVR attached to my main network. I'm thinking that would separate the camera bandwidth from my regular network, minimizing network bottlenecks. Hopefully, I'd be able to connect to the NVR from my main network and configure the cameras on their private network.

I expect I'll end up with a 16 channel system at a minimum, although I will be staring with only 6 or 7 cameras, a mix of bullet and dome style (no PTZ yet). Most of the cameras would probably be set to 1080, but I might want to go up to 3 - 5 MP for some. How much bandwidth does a typical IP camera use, if it's set to 1080p? I assume that the camera does some compression before sending the signal across the ethernet cable, so it's probably not as much as 2MP * 30 fps, is it? Is it generally better to use the same brand as the NVR? Or is that not so important when using ONVIF cameras? Are there certain features or configuration options that I should look for in a camera?

For NVRs, I have seen several mentions of Hikvision, Dahua, Aver, and others. I'm pretty sure I want to stay away from Lorex and Swann, but beyond that, I'm rapidly getting to the point of information overload. I see some threads where Dahua support is spotty or nonexistent. Not sure about Hikvision support. It would be nice to be able to record audio on 2 - 3 of the cameras.

I've looked at the docs (installation/users guides) on some of manufacturers websites, and they seem to be pretty full featured. Are there certain features that are better supported by some mfrs than by others? For example, I saw some threads here from a couple of years back saying that one mfr had problems supporting fast forwarding through video higher than 1080, but that may have been fixed.

Sorry for the rambling post, but as I said at the top, I'm hitting information overload. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Food for thought... Hikvision the #1 surveillance manufacturer in the world is owned by the Chinese Government and Dahua the #2 surveillance manufacturer in the world was part of the largest DOS attack in the history of the internet.

Fair points. Your recommendation?

So no one has any recommendations, other than to note that both of these vendors are tied to the Chinese govt.

So no one has any recommendations, other than to note that both of these vendors are tied to the Chinese govt.

Hi dahua is much better than hik.

Look at flir systems or Ic realtime.

No that is incorrect.... Hikvision is owned by the Chinese Government. Dahua is manufactured in China but not owned by the Government though they have major security issues.

Hi dahua is much better than hik.

Look at flir systems or Ic realtime.

IC Realtime = Dahua OEM

Flir Systems low end = Dahua OEM

I have been considering a surveillance system for a few years, but didn't like the analog systems that were available then. Now, with IP cameras and NVRs with built-in POE switches, I feel ready to take the plunge. I'm located in Texas (USA), if that makes any difference. I am looking for pros/cons of various NVR brands or models, and cameras as well.

I work with computers for my day job, and I'm not scared of having to do network configurations (within reason) or set up SMTP for email alerts, etc..

I plan to use hardwired cameras instead of wireless. I would like to have the cameras on a network of their own, each connecting directly to the NVR's built-in POE switch, then have the NVR attached to my main network. I'm thinking that would separate the camera bandwidth from my regular network, minimizing network bottlenecks. Hopefully, I'd be able to connect to the NVR from my main network and configure the cameras on their private network.

I expect I'll end up with a 16 channel system at a minimum, although I will be staring with only 6 or 7 cameras, a mix of bullet and dome style (no PTZ yet). Most of the cameras would probably be set to 1080, but I might want to go up to 3 - 5 MP for some. How much bandwidth does a typical IP camera use, if it's set to 1080p? I assume that the camera does some compression before sending the signal across the ethernet cable, so it's probably not as much as 2MP * 30 fps, is it? Is it generally better to use the same brand as the NVR? Or is that not so important when using ONVIF cameras? Are there certain features or configuration options that I should look for in a camera?

For NVRs, I have seen several mentions of Hikvision, Dahua, Aver, and others. I'm pretty sure I want to stay away from Lorex and Swann, but beyond that, I'm rapidly getting to the point of information overload. I see some threads where Dahua support is spotty or nonexistent. Not sure about Hikvision support. It would be nice to be able to record audio on 2 - 3 of the cameras.

I've looked at the docs (installation/users guides) on some of manufacturers websites, and they seem to be pretty full featured. Are there certain features that are better supported by some mfrs than by others? For example, I saw some threads here from a couple of years back saying that one mfr had problems supporting fast forwarding through video higher than 1080, but that may have been fixed.

Sorry for the rambling post, but as I said at the top, I'm hitting information overload. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

To answer some of your questions...

I use Hikvision 3MP turrets, and they are set to 3Mbit/s and still look fine. They max out at I believe 12Mbit/s but I'd say you get diminishing returns. The bitrate chosen is independent of the FPS; if you keep the bitrate the same but lower the FPS, each frame will be better quality.

As for the DVR, I made my own out of a standard computer about a year ago and run a commercial CCTV software on it, and couldn't be happier. I don't want to be stuck with what a given off the shelf NVR has, e.g. I can change the CCTV software and get to keep my hardware, and can use the server for other purposes in parallel with CCTV. Generally speaking, if the camera support standard streaming protocols, and if the software does too, there shouldn't be any problem. The CCTV software I use is made by a company that doesn't make any hardware yet supports any camera that support rtsp://

If you're familiar with computers, and you mention you are, IMHO I'd avoid an off-the-shelf NVR like the plague. I just feel you're getting less for your money, inability to repair it when it breaks, and a whole lot less flexibility.

Consider using Geovision. They make quality stuff. Excellent support. Look at their "target" series cameras. You can buy off Amazon. The camera comes with the NVR software. Only drawback, is you can only use Geovision cameras with the software. Other brands of camera require you to purchase a license to use camera on Geovision software. Not a big deal if you just stick with Geovision. You can either use a PC as your NVR or buy a linux Geovision NVR.

http://www.geovision.com.tw

https://www.123securityproducts.com/gv-snvr1600.html

I am in Texas too by the way, 70 miles NW of Houston. Bandwitdth shouldnt be a big deal for 16 cameras. What you can do is isolate your cameras on their own network so that traffic isnt affecting general web browsing.

HIK vision are commom used by professionals or alarm companies while Dahua is new. of course, how much money u willing to invest. there's wbox, watchdog, Look into ADI and what brands they carry. they are the main distributors to all alarm companies in the US