Sign in to follow this  
Nightwatcher

Against the law?

Hi people.

I'm a newbie on these forums and I'm just asking for some advice regarding the CCTV system I use at work.

I haven't been in security for long, but I only hold a frontline SIA badge, not an SIA CCTV licence. A CCTV licence isn't provided with the security company I work for, nor do they help pay for one if we chose to obtain one individually.

The site I work on is in the middle of nowhere, so all the cameras on site don't really view public spaces.

We have just had a new system installed where we remotely view CCTV at another site (same company).

This site has a busy public road which we have footage of and also two cameras have a row of terraced houses on view.

Recently, my boss told me to find some footage of an on-site incident and download the footage to DVD.

I wasn't comfortable doing this, as the area I needed to look at included the row of houses and you can see lights turn on and off upstairs and downstairs. You can't really see much, but I'm not even sure those residents know their house is being recorded.

Also, I reckon it's against the public space protection?

So, my question is.. am I right in refusing to view and record the footage?

Hi. It depends on how you are employed

Are you for security CCTV ?

Also your second location ... Will be classed as public space if you are employed to monitor the area ..... Yes you need a CCTV licence

£220.

But as you are employed your boss also needs a licence (not card ..only paper)

Hi. It depends on how you are employed

Are you for security CCTV ?

Also your second location ... Will be classed as public space if you are employed to monitor the area ..... Yes you need a CCTV licence

£220.

But as you are employed your boss also needs a licence (not card ..only paper)

Hi. My boss and I (as well as five other guards) work for a facilities company and we provide security for a client company.

He holds a non-frontline licence and all the guards just hold frontline licences.

I've advised the other guards not to download the footage until we got some proper advice.

I didn't want to contact the SIA in case they decided to investigate.