Sign in to follow this  
buckfast

Looking to setup a full home system from scratch

Hi All

My first post here. I am looking to add a system based upon CAT6 cabling to my home. My house is currently getting refurbished and will try get CAT6 cable routed as many places as possible. Here is what I would like:

-I will want about 6 cameras, would like high quality - 1080p

-Optical zoom capability and sound

-Email notifications when motion detected.

-Recording capability

-live stream access from my mobile phone

-id prefer cameras to be powered by ethernet

My current hardware is very limited in my house: I have an android phone and a Mac Mini with 1TB internal storage. I am also having broadband internet installed in the coming weeks after the renovation is complete.

Budget is max of 1,000 USD

Can somebody make me a shopping list of all hardware and software required?

Thanks!

For your budget, look at one of the complete system purchases. Something like this

https://www.amazon.com/LaView-Camera-Security-System-Bullet/dp/B0149OP3P4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1480030471&sr=8-1&keywords=laview

I think it meets all your needs except for optical zoom. Thats a feature that makes the cameras more expensive, so may be tough to get with your budget. Personally I dont find find zoom to be all that great because it means someone has to be actively monitoring the cameras to take advantage of zoom.

For your budget, look at one of the complete system purchases. Something like this

https://www.amazon.com/LaView-Camera-Security-System-Bullet/dp/B0149OP3P4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1480030471&sr=8-1&keywords=laview

I think it meets all your needs except for optical zoom. Thats a feature that makes the cameras more expensive, so may be tough to get with your budget. Personally I dont find find zoom to be all that great because it means someone has to be actively monitoring the cameras to take advantage of zoom.

Thanks. I might start off with perhaps two or three cameras, and do it right the first time. I've heard good things about Dahua and Huisun?

Thanks. I might start off with perhaps two or three cameras, and do it right the first time. I've heard good things about Dahua and Huisun?

I would stick to Dahua / Hikvision for a home setup. There are a ton of rebranded versions out there so just find a vendor that is responsive and go with them.

Location is Cincinnati Ohio

I'm in a similar situation with a somewhat flexible but similar budget. Before finding this site I tried out a 960H system from Defender which only took a few moments to decide I was not happy with. Then ordered a 2K IP Security camera system with 8 Channel NVR and 6 outdoor 2K 4MP cameras from Lorex. The daytime picture was better than the Amrecst but still considerably less than expected. The night vision was even worse. At roughly 30 ft with some ambient lighting a license plate was unreadable in both color and black/white modes. So that's what I've done so far and after some additional reading I'm open to suggestions for a full system.

Features I'm looking for:

POE NVR and leaning toward 8 channel and open to 1TB or 2TB storage. I'll likely just have it continuously record and write over the old data.

Initially 4 bullet and 2 dome cameras. Bullet cams for longer range with one overlooking a driveway able to read license plates in low light w/ IR. Domes for closer range front/back doors.

Ability for remote viewing preferably through free software

Metal camera housing - Not a requirement but seems it will hold up longer and be more resistant to vandalism.

Thanks in advance for your time and help!

I would caution against recording 24/7. The problem is, when you have an incident you want to watch, its incredibly difficult and time consuming. You have to watch possibly days and days of footage. If nothing is moving, no need to record.

For license plate viewing, you have to get a license plate camera. Regular cameras, no matter how wonderful, cant get a plate at night. The headlights drown out the plate.