Nate_D

Advice needed for DVR and camera setup

I’ve used this forum many times for info but this is my first post, and I could use some advice. I speak tech but I don’t have much experience with DVR/NVR’s. I’m helping a friend at a local church and here’s the scenario:

We would like to record sessions and use the existing PA system for the audio portion. The podium mic is connected to a receiver and amp. Our thought is to record HD to a DVR or NVR and use the existing external audio source. The equipment must be able to export to a USB drive in a format that is common; mp4…etc, that doesn’t require proprietary software for playback. We would also like to broadcast live to an adjacent overflow room splitting the HDMI out. It would also be great to have the ability to turn off OSD for live view as well as the recorded version – if possible. Here’s what I’ve tried so far.

1) I first tested with an inexpensive hybrid DVR and an HD analog camera. I plugged the audio source into the audio input of the DVR and assigned the audio to the camera. The recorded version was perfectly in sync, but the live view was out of sync by about .3 seconds and it was the audio portion that lagged during live view. Plus, I was able to turn off OSD for the live view but not the recorded portion. This would work great for us if not for the sync issues in live view.

2) I did some homework (but not enough) and decided next to try an IP camera with line/mic input, and add that camera from the network. The recorded version was in sync with the audio but I was unable to have audio during live view. I also had to use a proprietary app for playback. I like the idea of using this setup as long as I can hear the audio during live view and not have to use a proprietary app for playback of an exported file.

The reason I chose these setups was because it seemed to do what we wanted and keep the cost very low, hopefully under $1500. If I’m on the right track I could use some suggestions for equipment that would solve the issues I described. If there are other options that meet the criteria and are fairly inexpensive I’d be interested in those too. Again, the criteria: Record video/audio (external source); monitor live view w/audio and split HDMI out to 2nd display; be able to playback recording with common device/software; hopefully be able to disable OSD for both live view and recording.

Any input would be appreciated, thank you

I would love to help "the Church" but am afraid of being asked for "charity".

You talk of Audio, Loudspeakers?, and Amplifiers.

I would proceed with extreme caution.

A recent search shows mp4 format recording.

History.

Personally, I would just add speakers to the other room straight from the amplifier for Live Audio; you already figured out the rest...