rodm1

Looking to enter the trade question for the professionals?

I have some of the basic skills but the trade is much more complex then that. My question is how can a new to the trade person enter it? Dues it require a collage degree of some kind? I’ve talked to several trades man and none really can give a clear answer and most have been in the trade a long time. Most started with no experience but that whose 15+ years ago.

I'm not a professional but do camera stuff for my business and the occassional side job. No you dont need a college degree. Its pretty easy to learn. It helps if you are comfortable with electronics and computers. Not afraid to get dirty or get on ladders. Basically, you learn by doing. So get to doing.

I have some of the basic skills but the trade is much more complex then that. My question is how can a new to the trade person enter it? Dues it require a collage degree of some kind? I’ve talked to several trades man and none really can give a clear answer and most have been in the trade a long time. Most started with no experience but that whose 15+ years ago.

You are correct to say that that the trade is is complex.

There are several skill sets that need to be mastered to enable a CCTV to be installed that is fit for purpose.

Although technical understanding is important, the skills involved in in specifying and installing cabling and associated containment systems is critical. In addition CCTV is increasingly using radio, internet, computer networking and fibre optic cabling as well, so skills in this area are also important.

Additional factors such as Health & Safety, building code compliance and local licencing requirements also require consideration.

The design process of CCTV systems is key to delivery of images that meet the end users requirements, so understanding of operational requirement (OR), legislation, privacy, cyber security and DORI make the difference between cameras just installed or the successful presentation of usable evidence.

I would suggest that the majority of CCTV systems installed fail to be designed properly and although they record images, do not meet the end user's requirements when it's most needed.

Regards

Ilkie