max.r

16 channel system help

been doing some research into camera systems for my factory/shop workspace.

building is quite large looking to buy 12-16 1080p ip cameras.

my question comes with the wiring, new to this and not sure from the information Ive read.

I have 2 sections of the factory where cameras are grouped together, can I wire 8 POE cameras to a POE switch and have two switches total. Also could I wire the 2 POE switches directly to the NVR. Ive been reading that the POE switch should be connected to a router or my network, but is it possible to have the chain Ive mentioned?

Diagram Below:

8 Cameras----------8 Cameras

-----V-------------------V---------

POE switch #1------POE switch #2

-----V-------------------V---------

------------NVR--------------------

Also, for my purposes im not intersted in remote viewing the footage, everything would be stored and viewed on the local NVR then backed up periodically on external hard drives.

would love a response from anyone with experience,

Thanks

yes you can connect both POE switches to the NVR, so long as the NVR has 2 ethernet ports available. Most NVRs have 2 ports, one for incoming cameras, and 1 to connect NVR to network. Sounds like you have no interest connecting to the network, so you should be able to use the 2 ports for the switches.

Thank you for the response,

I have one more question you might be able to shed some light on. If I buy a low channel NVR as you've mentioned with 2-4 Ethernet ports, will the NVR still be able to manage 16 video feeds and record them, or are those system only optimized to control 2-4 cameras?

Thanks again,

Max

If you're only after 1080p have you thought about HD-TVI? All the wiring can be done with cat5 cable, get the same quality picture at probably half the cost? Me personally its easier to setup and troubleshoot.