Sign in to follow this  
nluck83

New to CCTV - Some questions!

Hey guys,

Hope all is well. I recently purchased a house and gutted the entire first floor. All the walls are down at this time so running Cat5e/Cat6 cabling would be a breeze. I have an 27U enclosed rack in my garage that I am putting all my home AV equipment in so the central CCTV node can reside there. That being said, I want to install 5 cameras on the outside of my house. 4 would be to see all 4 sides and the 5th would be for my front door.

Here are my wants with the potential system:

-All cameras are PoE

-Great picture during the day and night on all the cameras

-Record all camera feeds and retain for a few days to a week. Does this have to be local storage or can content be pushed a NAS of mine?

-Be able to bring up all the cameras on Android devices to view live feed

-Motion sensored camera for the front door, if anyone comes to my house I'd like to be notified. Is this worth to do on all the cameras?

-Hear Audio from cameras. Is there a way to interact with someone who comes to front door through a camera?

-Being I am from Long Island, NY I'd like the system to be weather proof. Handle weather like hurricanes to a nor'easter snow storm.

What solution/brand would you guys recommend? I don't want something cheap that won't last in the weather elements. Appreciate all the help/info.

Nick

Most of what you want is pretty basic these days. POE, motion sensing, smart phone viewing, weatherproof. Audio is really the only premium feature you want. Just find cameras that do audio. You want 5 cameras, so get at least an 8 channel system, that way you can add 3 more cameras as you need them.