Wetstuff

Basic questions: Quality chain Camera-to-screen?

I want a pretty decent image on a Samsung TV screen of an outdoor location about 70 meters (230 feet) from my house, that is first processed by an NVR*, where do I concentrate my interest and money? Camera, cable, NVR, screen...

I am not married to the Samsung TV (720p I believe) if that is a weak link. There always seems to be 'strengths and weakness' in any system, and rather than simply Gold Plate everything to cover my bet, I would prefer to do this smart and hope you can help. Thanks.

Jim

*Screen is more important than the recording but I need the alarm feature. If pressed, I could use an individual IR alarm.

Thanks, Matt. Working backward —I ordered a Vizio D24-D1 24-inch Smart TV. (1080) It needed to fit on a shelf under cabinets in the kitchen. The price for a factory refurb was $120. Here's a 2017 review in case someone else is looking in the same direction. I had considered a small iMac but it's 8X the cost if only the screen was being used 99% of the time.

http://www.lifewire.com/best-24-and-smaller-tvs-1847764

Next question.. can you split a PoE signal into the screen and NVR? CAT5a or CAT6 for the distance required?

Thanks. Jim

Next question.. can you split a PoE signal into the screen and NVR? CAT5a or CAT6 for the distance required?

No. Some cameras come with a video output along with the cat5. that would require 2 cables coming out of camera, cat5 and coxial. But the coaxial will probably only give you D1 resolution, not what you wanted. where is your NVR located? Can tv be used as monitor for NVR?

Thanks, Matt. I should have stated first that I'm a newbie with newbie experiences. I set up a simple system with an inexpensive Chinese NVR and two cameras. 'It worked.' ..but left a lot to be desired. Its true failings came in when I hooked 30+30+10 meter cables in series resulting in an image that resembled an abstract painting rather that a quality photograph. I cannot use WiFi because I am in woods, and most of the things I would like to see are not close to the house..

297623_1.jpg

To answer your question: Yes, I could use the TV as a monitor for the NVR. The concern is: if the quality of the NVR has a dramatic effect on the image, would it not be better if there was a Y-junction (my word) to send a pure signal to the TV and a second to the NVR, rather than get a possibly degraded signal from the NVT-to-TV?

Thanks. Jim

Negative on the IP cams, Matt. We are in an area where there is no Cable and the closest cell tower is ~7mi. My first system is/was a basic 4 channel NVR with two cams - the type not powered/imaged via LAN cable ...cameras with an individual 110v power supply+BNC connectors.

A new system I want to install should include: a good screen/TV, good cabling, a NVR and at least one good cam. So far I have found the TV mentioned above ..CAT6 at a good price (monoprice.com) ..and am looking at this 5meg cam on Amazon —GW Security 5MP 2592 x 1920 Pixel Super HD 1920P. (1080p@30fps)

I have been a mfr. of aircraft accessories (non-electrical) for 30+yrs so am pretty used to creating/solving problems and sourcing. My wife's idea would be; "Just call someone." ..but, I can't do that —it's not in my nature.

Jim

I have been looking at frame rates and resolution. Frame rates may not be as important in a primarily static image environment, but I found this comparison interesting

Jim

you had a crappy picture before because you were using analoge cameras and splicing together coaxial cable. The systems you appear to be looking at are IP using cat5/6 cable. Be sure to get outdoor cabling. You will get a great picture with IP cameras. I used GW security system once. Easy to set up and picture was great, but I didnt care for the software and support was hard to get. I never could get motion detection to work properly.

The NVR, whatever system you get, will not degrade the picture. Just use your TV as the monitor for the NVR. You cannot split the video signal as you were talking about, it doesnt work like that. Its data that has to be interpreted by something (like a NVR or a PC)

Hi. At what distance are your cameras going.

IP cameras do not need a Internet connection to work .... It's a local network.

But I would look at CVI instead of IP it will be better for you as regarding updates.

And you will get a lot more for your money if you go CVI