Sign in to follow this  
smg65

Replace Bad DVR and Keep Existing Cameras

Hello... please excuse my ignorance on this topic! I have zero experience with surveillance systems. We recently bought a house that already had a Q-See surveillance system installed. The DVR (QS-4816) hardly ever worked, it's extremely unreliable, and the few times it did work it seemed very complicated to me. But the outside cameras seemed to work very well. My son-in-law told me the cameras are analog. It is a wired system. The DVR might have bit the dust because it was installed in the (often) hot attic. That said, can I hook up another brand of DVR (but get it out of the attic) with the existing cameras? Any suggestions are appreciated! I would be looking for an economical unit that is much easier to set up and use than the Q-See DVR. Thanks!

Analog DVRs are hard to find nowadays but, fortunately, all HD (AHD,CVI,TVI) DVRs are compatible with old analog cameras. You an buy any model, I suggest Hikvision or Dahua because of price/quality ratio. Later, you can also improve your system by replacing the old analog camera(s) with newer HD or FullHD one(s).

Thank you very much for your reply. Your advice is appreciated. After reading other threads, I now realize that there are far more "flavors" of systems than I thought. I think my next step is to find out exactly what kind of cameras are on the house. As far as a DVR goes, in addition to being absolutely sure the new DVR will be compatible with the existing cameras, I'll be looking for simplicity of the included software. That Q-See software seemed very complex to someone like me. Again, thank you!

There are many DVR HD (AHD, CVI, TVI) type cameras available in online. I am sure you will try to find out another brand that will work properly. Currently, I am using SALTO brand's camera and never feel problem for longtime.

There are many DVR HD (AHD, CVI, TVI) type cameras available in online. I am sure you will try to find out another brand that will work properly. Currently, I am using SALTO brand's camera and never feel problem for longtime.

Give SATO a miss it is not a brand

Just a spam

SATO is a Korean Brand, you should remove your word (Spam) from the post.

WHY ... every one of your posts is to sato.... so guess what that means ..... SPAM