Sign in to follow this  
MeredithButler

Replacing old system

We recently purchased a home with an existing (2009 Lorex) system with 16 channels and 8 cameras. As you can imagine it is seriously outdated. I've gotten a quote from a local installer that is just way more than we were hoping to spend ($2400 - our budget is about $1000). I've spent the couple of days researching different brands etc. only to become more confused the more I read. To be fair I was reading reviews online before I found this site and I wish I would have come here first!

We have a large open attic and my husband is pretty handy so the physical installation is not an issue and I'm in the IT field so with good documentation I should be able to handle setup. What I don't know is what we really need. Somethings I read said you don't really need such a large drive while others insisted on the sizes of these being enormous. Some said 720p is fine while others say the 2-4k are a must for longevity.

We have 4 acres, a long driveway and are not home at all during the day which is when we would want the most ability to playback etc. We aren't so worried about night vision although it would be nice.

Our current system is so difficult to maneuver and is not at all intuitive which has rendered it basically useless. We would very much like to be able to view remotely and from all I read the software included with many of the popular boxed systems is horrible so any suggestions for awesome ease of use would be much appreciated.

We are definitely looking for a wired system, not wi-fi. Not sure if we should go with IP cameras or not.

Again, any help would be greatly appreciated!

If I were starting a new system today, I'd do IP and at least 4MP cameras. How many cameras were you wanting? All outdoor?

If I were starting a new system today, I'd do IP and at least 4MP cameras. How many cameras were you wanting? All outdoor?

Actually, 2mp cameras can be MUCH better in low light than 4mp cams...take for example dahua starlight.

Hi and thanks for the quick reply!!

We currently have 8 outdoor cameras. We are probably going with 6 outdoor and 2 indoor.

To run ip cameras you will have to rewire with ethernet..(some analog installs use ethernet with baluns at the end so you might get lucky...otherwise, if money is a real issue, look at dahua tribrid NVR's with 2mp starlight CVI cameras..they can use your old coax wiring...

First of all, I'd say congrats for entered new home.

In fact, the 4mp camera would be much better for your outdoor or indoor otherwise you should go to an expert that they are installing both types of cameras like no wifi & wired system.

First of all, I'd say congrats for entered new home.

In fact, the 4mp camera would be much better for your outdoor or indoor otherwise you should go to an expert that they are installing both types of cameras like no wifi & wired system.

Please stop giving advice when you simply dont know what you are talking about. It benefits no one.

My advice would go with an IP/network system and not to get hung up on megapixels. More megapixels does not mean it's better for your needs. And as for the IR/night vision, I cannot emphasize enough the need for good lighting. Personally, if all I had was $1000 to spend, I'd invest in good lighting and decent network cameras from a reputable manufacturer (not some china no-name ebay garbage) and installation for just start with a couple of cameras to start out and expand the system as time goes on. But that's me. I'm a bit of a camera snob.