aris

NVR password reset

Hi.

I have seen many questions on this topic here but none answered completely.

Recently I bought a house and the former owner left there an NVR: Cantonk CK-T9116PN.

The problem is, he didn't supply me the password. And there's no way of getting the pasword from him, he just doesn't communicate.

I would like to access and setup and use the device. It's still recording but i can't access any recordings, just watch live image.

I tried some default passwords (empty, zeroes, eights, one to six) to get in but nothing worked (the manufacturer says default password is empty). So the former owner probably set his own password.

I tried disconnecting the device from power and removing the battery - i hoped it would clear some onboard memory but only the date and time settings went to zero. See a picture of the board attached.

I tried to write an email to the manufacturer as their web page encourages me to do in such situation but I don't expect very well user support.

Has any of you ever done such reset? I'm really desparate. Thank you in advance.

IMG_20170419_222601.thumb.jpg.45b1e3e137f1e7f30a1583086d8a2029.jpg

For security, all CCTV end-users are encouraged to set their own default passwords.

Problem is when they are forgotten/neglected.

You might have luck that the company that installed the DVR set the password and not the previous owner, but I'm afraid you might be out of luck.

Best case scenario: The manufactorer can reset the password if they have the DVR in hand (You send it to them, being charged for freight, hours and so on).

Worst case scenario: Buy a new one.

I just received a .zip file from the manufacturer which includes some .exe files: one to search for the NVR in local network, second one to download an encrypted password from the NVR and a third one to decrypt that password. Then I sould be able to log in into the NVR and change the password to less forgettable one.

This raises a lot of concern about real secureness of such NVR. But hey, nevermind, it's in my local network with controlled access to the internet so I'm pretty sure nobody's watching me chopping the wood or mowing the grass around my house

But back to the topic. I'm currently at work, so I'll give it a try in the evening and share the results.

Lol.

No offence, but if they are willing to send the .exe to reset the password of any DVR to any random internet person, then the passwords from Cantonk are not secure.