Sign in to follow this  
whyvandalise

Roused to Action

Hello everyone,

I'm glad to have found this forum as I would like to become proactive regarding home security.

I deal with vandalism. The vandalism occurs at night. The most recent incident involved my vehicle. I park my vehicle around 40 feet from my home.

While making a report with my local police the officer remarked that having video evidence of the crimes would be ideal. He was sure to mention that if the faces of the perpetrators could not be easily identified at night, there would be no point to the expense.

I would like an outdoor security camera fixed on my vehicle and also my front door, and my rear door. The house is wired for cat5e, and there is an established wireless network.

What system or components would be appropriate for this situation?

I am new to all this, and hope that you will forgive me if I have posted in the wrong section or am asking the wrong question.

Thank you for reading.

Look at the Dahua Starlight cameras and Hikvision Ultra lowlight cameras. They have very good night vision for the price.

Don't use wireless cameras if possible, they can fail from interference at any time, use your cat5 cable. Also study upon poe, power over ethernet. That way you run just one cat5 cable to your camera.

You can find sample videos online.

Here is a lens calclator to see what you might want for your field of view.

https://www.pelco.com/partners/tools-calculators/camera-lens-field-of-view-calculator-fov