SurGuy

Trying to choose a 4MP surveillance system for my home!

I am overwhelmed by the selection out there of different surveillance system manufacturers!

Here is what I am looking for:

16 Channel 4K NVR with 12 4MP IP Cameras

I have came across Amcrest, Swann, and a couple of the other Costco brands. They all seem to be very similar with regards to cameras and quality, and then today I was on facebook and an ad popped up for a company called Montavue, have any of you heard about them? I liked the look of their cameras, so I checked them out, and after reading their specs and comparing them to the other guys, it seems like they are carrying the latest generation 4MP cameras, which are better than what the others are carrying.

They claim their cameras are 4MP resolution at 30fps, H.265 compression, and 87 degree field of view. When I compare that to the other manufacturers theirs are only 20fps, h.264 compression, and 83 degrees or narrower.

AND, the price point for Montavue is better because they don't charge sales tax, and have Free 3-Day shipping, with a 60-day return policy.

I can't find much about them on the web, and so just wondering if any of you have heard about them and can offer me feedback, or should I be a guinea pig and purchase it to review it on here? Here is the link to the product I am wanting: https://www.montavue.com/shop/montavue-16-channel-4k-surveillance-system-w-12-4mp-ip-bullet-dome-cameras-3tb-hdd-130ft-color-night-optics-mtip81638b4e/

Please let me know as I want to get one installed ASAP!

I'm not too worried about the location, as everyone starts somewhere. But their building seems to look fine to me, I checked out the street view as well, but it seems like it only goes down the alley, unless you switch to an older image then it shows the front of the building. I attached the screenshot, which shows their building is actually pretty nice.

I am mostly interested in their product, as I love the look of it. Also their specs on the components look great, I think I might give it a shot.

1345.thumb.JPG.8f01696a520c8fa7ba8ff5f8f8ed341d.JPG

Hi the problem will be warranty.

There selling rebadged dahua ... they are not there products

And they do cost a little more.

New company not even a year old.

Don't trust everything you read

No they have not developed camera with night time colour......... they only sell dahua

With there badge on ..... that makes dahua the developer

They provide a 2 year standard warranty

Most of the companies out there from what I have been reading are re-branded Dahua or HikVision, correct? Lorex, Q-See, Swann all use Dahua or HikVision.

They cost a little more?

From the packages I was looking at compared to Lorex, Q-See, and Swann they are priced more competitively, especially with their 10% coupon, and no sales tax. With their cameras being the latest generation 4MP cameras, I would see them being priced a little more as they are definitely better than the Lorex, Q-See, or Swann cameras.

Them being re-branded Dahua gives me more confidence in them because at least that is a quality manufacturer, versus a cheap Zhenzhen factory?

The "Color Night Optics" they wrote an article that explained the technology. It is using low-light image sensors, same thing as Lorex's "Color Night Vision". However, I think their cameras have even better low-light sensors than the Lorex ones do because they are the latest generation. They only need .08 lux versus Lorex's .38 lux on their standard 4MP bullet and dome cameras.

I am looking at their MTT4870 turret camera, thing looks awesome with a mic, and long rang night vision.

I might give them a call

That is only a 2k camera .... again over priced.

Why if you buy 1 it's $199.99

Buy 4 and it's $824.95

So more you buy the more money each you pay......if you think that's a discount. Someone needs a new calculator

4K 8mp camera the same .... is the same price as his 2k 4mp anywhere else.

Montavue continues to develop cutting-edge industry leading technology for our customers

Think they mean dahua develop

Montavue continues to develop cutting-edge industry leading technology for our customers, and the Color Night Optics feature on our cameras is a testament to that.

Company gives a lot of crap when just sticking a badge on there products

But with only trading since September guess they have a lot to learn

Hi Tom,

I am seeing a price of $199, that is only $180 with their 10% off coupon. It looks like the single camera is on sale and the 2 and 4 pack are not, that is why the price is the way it is.

BHPhoto: 4MP IP camera with same specs is around $200, 4K camera is $300

Lorex: 4MP IP Camera with lower specs is $170 with 15% off, no audio, only 20fps, and only 100ft Night Vision in complete darkness

Lorex: 4K IP Camera at 15fps is $280 with 15% off

Montavue's turret camera is 4MP 30fps, H.265, and has 164ft IR Night Vision in complete darkness, and has a built-in audio mic

Their bullet MTB4870, is only $180 as well, with the latest specs.

I am skeptical of paying almost $300/4K camera when the cameras only have DWDR and 15fps, I think I would rather stay with 2K.

With their package pricing their cameras come into be very competitively priced, only around $80 - $100 each is what it seems, and it looks like if I want to customize the package they will do that as well.

I just called them and chatted with them a bit, they seem very knowledgeable and realize they are a new company.

They are willing to work with me on my package at a very good price as well. Their component pricing with buying individual cameras is just that he said, if you are buying a package he said he can give me a much better deal like the packages they have pre-made.

I think I'm going to give it a go, why not, I'll have 60 days to return it if I don't like it, and if it is made by Dahua it's gotta be pretty good.

I take it you are the owner of the company

You do understand lorex flir are dahua cameras

And the cameras you have listed are the old dahua model

But you seem happy buying from a company that claims to of developed them .... which is salesman crap

So you pay less ... 10% if you buy one .... yet you pay $25 more if you buy 4

Like I said company only started in September .... has a lot to learn.

Nope, never heard of them until yesterday...

Yeah, I do understand that FLIR/Lorex is made by Dahua after reading through these forums and a lot of their cameras look the same.

The camera's on Montavue's site, are newer than what Lorex and Q-See are carrying? The Lorex and Q-See cameras are only at 20fps, h.264, whereas the ones on Montavue's site are 30fps H.265. Trying to navigate Dahua's site and figure out which is the newest model is difficult, but when the specs are better you would presume it is the newer model, correct?

I know it is salesman crap, but all of them do it, Lorex, Q-See, Amcrest, Swann, all of them claim they come up with the technology.

The price on the packages seems very competitive, their coupon says 10% off all products for launch. I don't know about their pricing on the 1, 2, and 4 packs of cameras, just that the 1 pack was on sale and the 2 and 4 packs are not. Also, I am looking for a whole system, so I would go with a package deal, which is much better than buying individual cameras.

Dont you know that cutting edge camera technology comes from a what looks like a plumbing supply warehouse? The whole post is a pretty creative marketing trick though, and its free. Not a bad idea.

I just registered for this site, just so I can say THANK YOU, for the heads up on the Lorex and Montavue.

Been researching for about a month now on finding a good security system for my home and now gonna read the forums.

Thanx again.

I saw a guy on utube giving a review about some cameras he had purchased two of the cameras for a review which were both branded with different names but when he checked the numbers on the cameras it turned out they were both made by the same company. He said he initially did not know that they were made by the same company and paid nearly twice as much for one than the other.

When you look at claimed specifications it will probably turn out that the cameras don't actually perform any where near as good as the claims. My 3 megapixel Swann cameras claim to have "excellent night vision 30m" and that is a direct quote from their web site. The truth is you can probably see upto 30m but you won't be able to see if the object it a tree or a lamppost. At 20 feet I can make out humans but that's it, it's not until someone is about 3m away do they start to be recognisable. These claims of 30m night vision are from a company that has been around for years.

Rather than look at sales claims you might want to check out the electronics that go into the camera and see how well other cameras really do with the same electronics. I've started to read about the different sensors in cameras, taking note of the number, as this is important to how well the camera performs. Try to find out how adjustable the camera is using an OSD because the more options you have that actually work the better chance you have of obtaining the correct picture.

I'm going to be honest, I don't know much about CCTV but from what I have learnt, I don't think I'd buy a kit again. I would choose a system, find a recorder that fits my needs then buy cameras that fit each location/position I want them to record in.

I'm going to keep asking questions so I get my next system right, I hope