JustTriniJohn

DVRvideo out failure due to HDMI cable?

Hi Folks. I have had three H264 DVRs become non-functional (HDD still works, power light comes on, but no video output) within a short space of time when connected to the HDMI input port of a smart tv. After having the electrical system in the house re-checked - finding no faults - I hooked up yet another DVR but with one (minor??) difference: instead of the very thickly shielded HDMI connecting cable, I used a less shielded ("thinner") cable and have been met with success.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what could have been the issue here? Is there some way that power could have been coming back to the DVR via the thick cable and frying the video output on the DVR side?

I actually had that happen to me a few years ago, with some HDMI over UTP extenders. I fried the HDMI port on two DVRs before figuring out that the extenders were crap.

So yes, somehow it can happen.

Thanx for your response. In my case however I was not using UTP extenders... so - unless I am missing something here...līke a built-in extender perhaps? - I guess my search continues.

What I meant; just connecting something to the HDMI port and goes from the HDMI port to a monitor/TV/whatever, can actually damage the HDMI port. The ones I used were just passive extenders (unpowered; transceptors?)

I know you are not using HDMI extenders; I was. And whatever the technical reason might be, I got to damage the HDMI port on two devices. So yes, I do believe that an HDMI cable might damage it too, whatever the technical reason behind is (which I do not know).