neophytetom

Reverse use of wifi enabled camera system?

Hello. I hired a company to install multiple cameras around my home many years ago. I don't have a name of a particular system. I assume they used whatever components were best on a custom type basis. It had a wireless aspect and you could use your phone to remotely view the real time images.

I had no use for the wifi aspect and I unplugged that wifi cord from my router/modem with the idea of improving the security/privacy of the system. But I get the impression by their actions and reactions to my movements around the outside of the house, that neighbors are able to somehow access the camera views anyway. That's concerning, but I wonder if they can also turn the cameras off remotely for a certain period of time and then turn them back on? To use one of the right-click functions like 'search' you have to sign in with a password, but to do so you have to use a typewriter face on the screen as there is no regular keyboard like most computers have. I wonder can anyone monitoring my cameras see the password as I select each letter from the on-screen keyboard with the mouse. And each letter stays visible for a second after it gets put into the password box

Does this seem possible to you? A couple of them are employed in technical jobs, one installing surveillance systems.

Secondarily, would you have any idea what "System Lock" does? It is one of 15 right-click functions which are available. It is in the bottom section along with "System Shutdown". I'm scared to select it. . . . Also, do you think I could hire somebody to swap out the current monitor screen for one which has a regular keyboard to improve the security of the password when I enter it?

I'm not a technically oriented person and I'm sure I left out information which would help you to respond. Please let me know if you need some information I might be able to provide. Thanks.

It would help if you could look on your DVR and provide a model number. If the DVR is not plugged in to your router, then it seems unlikely that someone has "hacked" it. Im not even sure how it would be possible.