Sign in to follow this  
RandomGrin

Can an outdoor ptz work with no lan cable? (So SD and/orWIFI

Hey,

I'm not the sophisticated security guy.

I just want to use an outdoor PTZ camera, but without buying an NVR to run it.

I think the Dericam can work with just SD Card, and its own wifi hotspot, if I am interpreting their ads correctly.

(Amazon example: https://www.amazon.com/Dericam-Auto-focus-Megapixel-Pre-installed-S1-N/dp/B06Y4GSFCX/ref=sr_1_9?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1500774037&sr=1-9&keywords=%22security+camera%22+%22SD+card%22+ptz)

First, is that true?

If so, does a camera like that exist with 10X optical zoom or better? Hours of searching have not found such a thing.

So does this exist?

--Run with no LAN cable, so it would use SD Card and/or wifi.

--Outdoor, PTZ, 10X optical zoom. Dome preferred.

I can run a power cable much more easily than I can run a LAN cable, and I don't want to figure out or pay for NVRs.

Thanks!!

First off, stay away from Dericam Sricam etc. You will have nothing but problems. The Dahua SD22204T-GN-W is a much better choice, but doesn't have IR lighting, but can see it. It is only 4x zoom too.

WIFI is not recommended for security cameras, they often drop out right when you need them.

To answer your question, that camera you linked to has WIFI so you only need a cable to set it up initially. And it will record to an sd card.

Hi. You still need to get power to your camera

I can run a power cable much more easily than I can run a LAN cable, and I don't want to figure out or pay for NVRs.

To run either is the same ...... LAN would also have power (Poe)

It is never a good idea to buy no name PTZ cameras ....unlike standard cameras PTZ do a lot of work and need replacement parts now and again