larryplum

Action cam / similar for stills security

Hi All

I'm completely new to cctv and currently have a budget swann dvr9-4200 system with 3 cameras.

The quality of this is of course poor to say the least. I would imagine it serves as a deterrent and would show intent of intruders but would be of little use for identification.

I would like to supplement this with some 16MP stills cameras for number plate capture and facial identification. I have been looking at various budget action cameras such as this.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SY-4K-16MP-WIFI-Real-time-Action-Cam-Full-HD-1080P-Waterproof-Helmet-Camera-DV-/222581466772?epid=604578726&hash=item33d2e3a694:g:O8oAAOSwfJJZaISZ

This sort of camera has high resolution, wide-angle still image recording and seems ideal for my application.

Has anyone used such cameras for security / is there anything I should look out for / best way to set this up for downloading / power supply etc / reasons not to do this?

Any input gratefully appreciated.

Regards, Laurence

Hi All

I'm completely new to cctv and currently have a budget swann dvr9-4200 system with 3 cameras.

The quality of this is of course poor to say the least. I would imagine it serves as a deterrent and would show intent of intruders but would be of little use for identification.

I would like to supplement this with some 16MP stills cameras for number plate capture and facial identification. I have been looking at various budget action cameras such as this.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SY-4K-16MP-WIFI-Real-time-Action-Cam-Full-HD-1080P-Waterproof-Helmet-Camera-DV-/222581466772?epid=604578726&hash=item33d2e3a694:g:O8oAAOSwfJJZaISZ

This sort of camera has high resolution, wide-angle still image recording and seems ideal for my application.

Has anyone used such cameras for security / is there anything I should look out for / best way to set this up for downloading / power supply etc / reasons not to do this?

Any input gratefully appreciated.

Regards, Laurence

Hi you must love buying crap

If you want cctv then buy cctv ..... your link is to crap

Thanks very much for your constructive comment.

It's very constructive

How many times a day to you want to recharge your camera

How many SD cards are you going to need for each camera each day

How is night time footage going to work

Why look for sports cam if you need CCTV

It's very constructive

How many times a day to you want to recharge your camera

> I would like to leave it on a permanent power supply

How many SD cards are you going to need for each camera each day

> I would like to leave it on a stills recording loop using motion-sensing to trigger. If it won't overwrite then I can delete periodically with a permanently connected interface cable. All theoretical of course and dependent upon advice from someone who may have tried this.

How is night time footage going to work

> Existing PIR LED floodlights

Why look for sports cam if you need CCTV

> I already have CCTV for motion-capture reasons. I can't afford to replace this with the highest-resolution CCTV system which would still fall very short of 16MP. This seems to be the cheapest way of supporting the low-resolution shortcomings of most CCTV cameras and will therefore enable identification from a much greater distance.

I would like to supplement this with some 16MP stills cameras for number plate capture and facial identification.

If you set for motion then you will miss most of event while camera starts recording.

Are you home all day ? 4K to 32gb SD card

Why do you need 16mp

If you set for motion then you will miss most of event while camera starts recording.

> Not sure how you can state that based on the info I've given.

Are you home all day ? 4K to 32gb SD card

> Worst case - it can't loop stills so at 16MP on continuous motion-capture at 2 second intervals, it should store 3.7 hours worth of 4.8Mb Jpegs on a 32GB card. With real-life activity, this would last for weeks. Can always reduce resolution a little if necessary.

Why do you need 16mp

> To achieve a suitable pixel density for facial recognition given the distance of the cameras (up to 10m / 33ft from subject).

> Not sure how you can state that based on the info I've given.

That's simple you stated it.

cameras for number plate capture and facial identification.

And it's simple the sports cam does not have pre or post recording

So set at motion ..... By the time face (or person or car) activates cam to take photo ...... The image will not be there.

And you have no chance of getting a number plate.

> To achieve a suitable pixel density for facial recognition given the distance of the cameras (up to 10m / 33ft from subject).

you only need 2mp

That's simple you stated it.

Quote:

cameras for number plate capture and facial identification.

And it's simple the sports cam does not have pre or post recording

So set at motion ..... By the time face (or person or car) activates cam to take photo ...... The image will not be there.

And you have no chance of getting a number plate.

> At what distance will this camera be triggered and what is the delay to 1st capture? If you don't have this info then how can you state the above?

Quote:

you only need 2mp

> Surely you need to take into account the field of view? Also, what pixel density are you assuming?

Listen it's pointless responding to your posts

You have no clue .....

Starting to think your eBay advert is your add

And I stand by what has been said ...... It's junk

It's not CCTV .....and will not do what you want

Listen it's pointless responding to your posts

You have no clue .....

Starting to think your eBay advert is your add

> That's pretty insulting and condescending. I shall respond in kind.

I posted in this forum as I have already admitted that I have little knowledge in this field. As a trained engineer, I was hoping to get some technical, reasoned feedback, not insults and assumptions. I can find narrow minded simpletons anywhere.

And I stand by what has been said ...... It's junk

It's not CCTV .....and will not do what you want

> I have not claimed this is CCTV and simply wondered if anyone has experience of this configuration. It also seems you have no knowledge or understanding of this product. If you can't provide reasoned technical replies then please stop wasting both our time here.

It's an action cam.

It will not do what you want

I have tried to explain why it will not work for you

16mp for 10 meters is also a waste of time

What are you going to use the images for

This is going nowhere. Please stop replying.

Your right because you can't answer basic questions

Motion detect a licence plate and only take a picture ...... You can't do.

But you don't like that answer

Motion on a standard camera is problematic in its self .... And you think cheap China sports cam can

I will also point out .... A 4mp cam is cheaper and gives you video and is more than you need for 10 meters ......

But hay its your money your wasting

Don't understand why you joined here

I joined for informed, technical discussion. If you are not able to do this in relation to the type of product suggested then please stop posting.

I joined for informed, technical discussion. If you are not able to do this in relation to the type of product suggested then please stop posting.

The product you posted will not work for you

But you don't want to listen .

Go and buy them cameras ..... I don't give a crap what you do

But stop asking stupid questions if you don't like the answers

I'm happy to listen to factual, backed-up answers, just not to non-technical opinion. It would certainly serve you better if you started out helpfully rather than critically. Now please stop trolling my post.

I'm happy to listen to factual, backed-up answers, just not to non-technical opinion. It would certainly serve you better if you started out helpfully rather than critically. Now please stop trolling my post.

You haven't listened to anything.

You don't even reply to answers

I asked why 16mp for 10m ...... you did not like the answer

I explained Pre and post ....... your not happy about the answer

I explained camer snap is not going to work for licence plates

I explained motion on that cam will not work

I explained 2 or 4mp cctv cameras are cheaper than that crap

I'm sorry you don't like my answer to the cam link you posted but I stand by it.

And I stand by my first post .... don't buy more crap.

All you have done is try and justify the camera link

You don't need 16mp (spec says 4K) which is not true

Your only talking 10m (30ft)

But again it's your money go and buy them....... not much more can be said in this post if you don't like to listen

I have asked you some very simple technical questions to justify your opinions. Opinion without the process of reason has no value. I can get opinion from my 6 year old daughter. If you have not tried this type of solution and just want to give your opinion then you have done so. Thank you. Have a great day

I have asked you some very simple technical questions to justify your opinions. Opinion without the process of reason has no value. I can get opinion from my 6 year old daughter. If you have not tried this type of solution and just want to give your opinion then you have done so. Thank you. Have a great day

Customers have tried this option and with expensive go pro and no good results

What reason did you not understand.

Licence plate motion detect.snap shot

Cam motion detects lancence plate then switches on then takes snap shot

OF WHAT ... buy the time cam has done that licence plate has gone

But you don't want to hear that

Your not even asking which cameras are cheaper and will do the job...... because your not interested and I have stated twice

Read the thread..... they don't work

A cheaper 2mp cctv camera will