cctvsmartsystems

How to work out 28 Days Recording on CCTV?

My Question is how do i work out what size hard drive i need to get on a 5Mpx cameras on a 4 camera system.

Just some times im guessing and customers are going mad WHEN THEY LOOK AND ITS LIKE 18 DAYS and some times 21 days its proper random. gets expensive when you say they need 6TB. There must be a easy way to work it out for them?

My Question is how do i work out what size hard drive i need to get on a 5Mpx cameras on a 4 camera system.

Just some times im guessing and customers are going mad WHEN THEY LOOK AND ITS LIKE 18 DAYS and some times 21 days its proper random. gets expensive when you say they need 6TB. There must be a easy way to work it out for them?

Hi. It also depends on the environment. Are you doing domestic or commercial

Are you in York U.K. ?

Hi,

Sounds like you are using a standard offer of NVR + 4 by 5MP cameras and my answer is based on that assumption.

There are many calculators online and that is the easiest way to work it out. They are just approximate as they cannot allow for the complexity of the scene the camera is viewing.

Using the exact same equipment in two different installations can still give a big variation in Hard Disk usage due to this scene complexity.

If every thing is set to its highest setting then to be reasonably sure of getting 28 days recording you will need to have approximately 16TB of hard disk storage.

Most NVR's have a HIGH, HIGHER and HIGHEST setting. By changing from HIGHEST to HIGH you can normally reduce the required Hard Disk capacity by half so 8TB would be needed.

You were concerned about using 6TB so you need to reduce it some more.

25 frames per second are almost never needed, 12 frames per second is fluid and this change would take you back to needing 4TB.

Hope this helps.