Sign in to follow this  
stumblebuggy

IP camera over coax?

Hi, I have a few questions.

What is the max number of megapixels a camera can have and transmit over coax with baluns? is it still 2? the distance is less than 100 yards but the wire already exists and an new pull is not an option.

Is it better to go POE through the coax when the rg59 Siamese power is already there?

What would I need to connect the power to a POE camera?

Thanks

Megapixels dont have anything to do with it. If you currently have coaxial wire run, find a TVI or AHD camera system. POE is for IP cameras, so wouldnt apply to you.

Hi, I have a few questions.

What is the max number of megapixels a camera can have and transmit over coax with baluns? is it still 2? the distance is less than 100 yards but the wire already exists and an new pull is not an option.

Is it better to go POE through the coax when the rg59 Siamese power is already there?

What would I need to connect the power to a POE camera?

You can install as many cameras as you want, as long as you have the available bandwidth.

You need an IP over coaxial adapter, something like this:

http://www.securame.com/extensor-de-ip-por-cable-coaxial-p-2587.html

Once you have it in place, you need to test the network link to know what is the sustained bandwidth it can achieve. I have used the one I am linking on several installations, and while it says it can only give you 10Mbps bandwidth, I have tested it up to 80Mbps. It will depend on the coaxial cable quality, length, materials, etc.

When you know the bandwidth you can have on that network link, you can know how many cameras and what bitrates you can get. Be conservative. Like if you have a 40Mbps available, do not expect to use 8 cameras at 5Mbps bitrates and have everything work like a charm forever.

With those 2 wires on the siamese cable you could power just one camera; and if you want to have more cameras, I would suggest installing a POE switch there, for which you would need 110/220V.

Thank you for your replies.

I have inherited oversight of a house that has an older(12+yrs) 4 camera system installed and the dvr seems to have problems with the display output; 4 or 5 of versions of each camera picture is displayed stacked offset making it look blurry. The recording play ok but only in CIF resolution and the monitor plays those clearly just very small. It has 4 cameras now with 18/2 rg59 siamese to each. I want to add a few more. I was looking at CVI, TVI, AHD, hybrid DVRs quick as a fix and adding IP as the new cameras and then converting the others as money allowed. If I can go straight to IP instead of intermediary CVI, TVI, AHD route and not be limited to 2 mp cameras for future upgrades and still maintain the current cabling. Power is wall transformers into an surge strip by the dvr and I want to change that out too.

As far as power plugs the cameras I see online don't show much in the way of power inputs and all talk of PoE. I would need to set up the network for the new cameras so would get a network switch with power injector. I have seen a few online. would I be able to connect the existing siamese power lines?

I looked at [http://www.dahuasecurity.com/en/us/pro_details.php?pid=1006]

What are your thoughts and suggestions.