lambo

Camera System Scrambled Display

I have had an 8 camera system installed on my house for 5 years. Unfortunately the company that installed the system went out of business and now out of nowhere the camera's will sometimes work and sometimes not and I am hoping to get some help as to why. It can't be the actual camera's that is bad as they all behave this way out of the blue at the same time so I am not sure what else the problem could be. As far as the system setup, I do not have many details but I just know it is a typical CCTV DVR UNIT and I had replaced the HDD last year with a 250GB samsung drive which appears to be working fine. I did see that there is a metal box that appears to be a power converter or power increaser maybe to give enough juice to the cameras and I am wondering if the camera's are intermittantly getting enough power?

I have attached a screenshot of the current view of the camera's and you will see in the screenshot that 2 of the camera's are showing a partial picture but scrambled while the others are showing the "VIDEO LOSS" error. However, this changes every second where some camera's will show the scrambled picture and then the next second show the video loss. this is why I know the camera's themselves are fine and I wonder what the issue is. Also for example, most of this morning was perfect crystal clear video on all 8 camera's but now it is like the screenshot.

IMPORTANT: The ONLY thing I have done in the last few months was get rid of a battery backup that was not appearing to function properly because when the power went out the backup would "overload" and be useless so I simply tossed this out and plugged the extension cord right into the normal wall outlet(the extension cord has the DVR and the aforementioned metal DC power converter/amplifier box plugged into it). I am wondering if that battery backup was also acting like a power reserve "buildup" that gave more juice to the system than the normal wall outlet 120v can give? This is just speculation as that is the only thing that changed recently but why would everything work perfectly 50% of the time and then like the screenshot 50% of the time?

Any input is greatly appreciated!

cctv.thumb.jpg.eca772e45152535fffae2cd20016093d.jpg

Hello. The cameras would usually have their own power adapter and that is probably what needs replacing.

So you think all 8 cameras each blew their own power adapter at the exact same time since having them 7 years ago? that seems too unlikely to me

Hello. The cameras would usually have their own power adapter and that is probably what needs replacing.

So you think all 8 cameras each blew their own power adapter at the exact same time since having them 7 years ago? that seems too unlikely to me

Hi.yes it sounds like a power supply problem ..... you have 1 box you say that powers the cameras ... sounds like is is starting to fail.

I would also look at a better hard drive 250 for 8 cameras ?

Hi.yes it sounds like a power supply problem ..... you have 1 box you say that powers the cameras ... sounds like is is starting to fail.

I would also look at a better hard drive 250 for 8 cameras ?

I couldn't get my voltmeter/multimeter to work but I plugged one of the camera line's directly into my TV and the picture was perfect clear as day so the camera's themselves are not the problem but does that also mean that the power supply is NOT the problem? I am wondering if the DVR unit could be bad even though it is acting completely normal as far as being able to access all of the settings and what not

I couldn't get my voltmeter/multimeter to work but I plugged one of the camera line's directly into my TV and the picture was perfect clear as day so the camera's themselves are not the problem but does that also mean that the power supply is NOT the problem? I am wondering if the DVR unit could be bad even though it is acting completely normal as far as being able to access all of the settings and what not

Hi. It is starting to sound like it is a single point of failure with the DVR. But it is a good idea to rule out power as an issue completely. A failing power adapter might still have enough juice to power a single camera. In all your posts you mention only a single adapter. Most 8 camera DVR kits I have seen will include one adapter for the DVR another two adapters that will power a group of four cameras with a four way splitter.

Hi. Also go into dvr settings and see if your set for PAL or NTSC

That would also make your images look like that.

It is set to NTSC. Is that correct?

Hi. Also go into dvr settings and see if your set for PAL or NTSC

That would also make your images look like that.

It is set to NTSC. Is that correct?

Hi. Depends were you are located NTSC is America PAL is Europe

What happends when you change it

If they all started doing this at exactly the same time then it wouldn't be the cameras or the cables. Does each camera have its own power supply or is there one power supply for them all? I would check that first, you can get voltmeters cheap from walmart or Fry's or an auto parts store( just don't trust your life to the cheep-ee's for 120v, low voltage only)

You should be getting either 24 volts AC, or 12 volts DC.

To see if it's the recorder itself as a problem, feed a known good video signal into it, composite (yellow plug) cable from the output of a VCR or cable box ( you will need an RCA to BNC adaptor, or cut the cable and shove the wire into the jack )

I've seen lightning and/or power surges take out whole recorders like that.

If they all started doing this at exactly the same time then it wouldn't be the cameras or the cables. Does each camera have its own power supply or is there one power supply for them all? I would check that first, you can get voltmeters cheap from walmart or Fry's or an auto parts store( just don't trust your life to the cheep-ee's for 120v, low voltage only)

You should be getting either 24 volts AC, or 12 volts DC.

To see if it's the recorder itself as a problem, feed a known good video signal into it, composite (yellow plug) cable from the output of a VCR or cable box ( you will need an RCA to BNC adaptor, or cut the cable and shove the wire into the jack )

I've seen lightning and/or power surges take out whole recorders like that.

Thanks for your help. Please tell me:

1. I did wire 1 camera directly into my TV and it was perfect picture. I assume this means that the DVR unit is shot?
  2. I wonder if the hard drive is still good in this scenario?
  3. I am looking to buy a DVR replacement like this and wonder if you have any suggestions: https://www.amazon.com/ZOSI-channels-Security-Detection-Recorder/dp/B00KX00DVI

Hi. $98 with 1tb hard drive .... makes the unit worth $40

Did you read comments on that recorder ?

Yes I did read the comments but every recorder has just as many negative reviews and more. what do you suggest?

Yes I did read the comments but every recorder has just as many negative reviews and more. what do you suggest?

If comments like this don't bother you then there is no hope.

From the discription

H.264 8CH Digital Video Recorder 1TB Hard Drive For 720P,1080P

4 people have complained and there answer is.

Dear friend,

Sorry, no, this DVR is 720p.

Here is the information of our 1080p DVR with 1TB hard drive for your reference

So not only cheap crap but also lie and only find out its 720p when bought.

You need to give a budget amount before anyone can recommend anything

If comments like this don't bother you then there is no hope.

From the discription

H.264 8CH Digital Video Recorder 1TB Hard Drive For 720P,1080P

4 people have complained and there answer is.

Dear friend,

Sorry, no, this DVR is 720p.

Here is the information of our 1080p DVR with 1TB hard drive for your reference

So not only cheap crap but also lie and only find out its 720p when bought.

You need to give a budget amount before anyone can recommend anything

I am hoping to get some input as to which of these options might be the best? To reiterate, I currently have 8 hard-wired cameras powered by a DC power box in my home using BNC connection to the existing DVR unit. I have no idea the brand, type, or specs of my 8 camera's but I know they are not HD and are about 5 years old. I do not care about price for the DVR unit but I just want something that is reliable and can be viewed remotely via iPhone like I am currently doing with an off-brand chinese DVR unit.

I believe the only difference between these two is the first one comes with 2 TB and the second one only 1TB:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FFINLXK

$233 - 101 AV 8CH HD-TVI 1080P H.264 True-HD Pre-Installed 2TB Playback Internet Mobile Phone Accessible HDMI Real Time for Home Office Security System Compatible w/ 1080P 720P TVI, Standard Analog, & IP Cam

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FFINM0W

$199 - Digital Surveillance Recorder 8CH HD-TVI 1080P H.264 True-HD DVR w/1TB HDMI VGA BNC Video Output Mobile Phone Accessible Great for Home Office Work w/ 1080P 720P TVI,1080P AHD,Standard Analog & IP Cam