Petlyn

Basic Domestic CCTV - How?

Hi thanks for the interest.

My partner has just moved into a new home which came with a dome camera at the front door, unfortunately it is monochrome therefore probably installed in 1066.

It is soooooo basic it's untrue it simply plugs into her TV's phono input however it has a BNC plug with a phono adapter so is capable of better things I'm sure. So what's the question?

I understand there is a 'black box' or maybe white, which can convert the video to her Smart TV that will create a thumbnail picture on her TV screen whilst she watchs Coronation Street or the Jeremy Kyle show. At this early stage she is not interested in recording (maybe coming later) just to know who is at her front door day or night and as she is in her 70's it's important and she values her safety. Of course she could use a simple monitor alongside the TV but feels it's a little 'naff'.

The camera is not PIR so relies solely on a Porch Wall Light I will change the camera to a better camera no problem it is the 'other end' that has me scatching my head. I would do a search myself to find a suitable 'box' but I haven't a clue what it would be called. I will 'assume' she will require some kind of DVR however maybe I am cracking a nut with a sledgehammer.

Your thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you.....

just to know who is at her front door day or night and as she is in her 70's it's important and she values her safety.

Hi. To value safety then recording is important...... If you can't look back after a problem it's pointless.

Colour dome with IR and a dvr is not going to break the bank.

As far as getting picture to her tv .....you would use the existing cable so place the dvr by the tv.

The black / white box you talk about ... Will not work with new smart TVs.

But most smart TVs now have p in p ....picture in picture so you only need to connect dvr to a HDMI input.

just to know who is at her front door day or night and as she is in her 70's it's important and she values her safety.

Firstly.Thank you for your PROMPT reply.

Hi. To value safety then recording is important...... If you can't look back after a problem it's pointless.

I agree but at this early stage she just needs to KNOW who's at the door and whether she is to open it safety chain or not. OK?

Colour dome with IR and a dvr is not going to break the bank.

Yes I realise that and actually have said i will 'change' the device however I need to know how the picture in picture is done !!

As far as getting picture to her tv .....you would use the existing cable so place the dvr by the tv.

Yes of course it will be behind the TV as that is were the double coax arrives a pair for power (red and white) and the coax camera feed.

The black / white box you talk about ... Will not work with new smart TVs.

Oh dear that was my 'funny' which obviously dropped down like a lead balloon, I was talking about the box behind the TV, black/ white/green/blue whatever I will need !!! so what you are saying in essence is that a standard DVR will do P in P and I buy 'nothing special' if this is the case, will she have the ability to access the P in P and expand it to full size when somebody enters the pictures capture area, I am talking about the TV end NOT the camera's ZOOM capability if it has the facility.

Thanks again for your kind reply

But most smart TVs now have p in p ....picture in picture so you only need to connect dvr to a HDMI input.

THANKS grateful I did not know that......