spartikus1975

Help for a noob

Hey guys let me first say this forum is excellent I have been browsing it just for a short time. Also let me say I am not very familiar with home cctv system but I am excited to try to put a system together. So here are my questions. my house has 2 ethernet plugs for almost every room and they all terminate in the basement. what I am trying to do is set up a POE camera system for the front and back of my house. I have several questions regarding this. I want to have my NVR in my office which is right by the front porch where I want to put two cameras. Can I run the cameras to a y ethernet connector so as to run just one cable from the porch to the office and then use another y connector to separate the lines and plug them in the the NVR or will this not one? If not I will just have to run two cables. My second question is regarding the back of the house I was going to run a cable from the camera to my master bed room where there is an ethernet plug which goes to the basement. can I put a switch down there to plug into and then have a cable run back to my office to plug into the NVR. If this is possible it would give me options for later on plugging more cameras to that switch and then have one single cable up to the office and the nvr there. this intuitively seems to me would not work because the one cable from the basement to the office would not carry multiple camera signals. am I right in this assumption. my other option is to put the NVR in the basement and just plug as many cameras I want to ethernet plugs in the rooms and have those plugs carry the signal to the basement since they are already prewired. One problem I run into with this idea is that my office has 2 ethernet plugs and the two cameras from the front porch would use both of these plugs up and if I ever want to hard wire by computer in the office with ethernet I cannot due this as both plugs are being used by the POE cameras. I hope this makes since please help if anyone has ideas thank you.

no such thing as an ethernet Y. You have to have to a device that routes directs the traffic so to speak (a switch). One ethernet cable can carry many camera streams, you just have to use a switch. So for example you could have a POE switch for front of the house where all front cameras are connected, then that switch plugs into your NVR with one ethernet cable. Another for the back of the house.

So I have a switch specifically Netgear GS108 which has 4 POE outlets and I tried plugging two cameras into this and then had one cable from the switch to the NVR and it didn't work. Do I need a different type of switch?

No your switch should work. Make sure all devices are on the same subset. So for example everything must be a 192.168.0.X. If NVR is 192.168.1.1, and cameras are 192.168.0.X, then they cant talk to each other.