Sign in to follow this  
Toaster

Swann SWDVK-849808 - 8x 5mp bullets and DVR box kit. HELP

I've been running a Q-See QT528 DVR with varying camera's recording D1@30fps. Some of the camera's are CNB domes, others are Effio chip of varying brands (none of which I even remember anymore)

This system has been in place for several years and it has worked fine, my whole family knows how to use the app, the web login, etc... I have become accustomed to the way it works and have successfully built the system over a period of time (I started out with all Q-see included cameras and slowly replaced them 1 by 1 over a long period of time). These are installed at my retail business, inside and outside. The only issue I've had with the system as a whole is for whatever reason sometimes footage stutters (drops frames) badly on certain channels or even across all 8 channels. Sometimes the footage is smooth and fluid and other times it closer to 4-6 FPS or maybe lower... very jerky? NO CLUE WHY OR HOW TO SOLVE.

I recently had a couple of incidents where I needed clearer video especially outside to see license plates - which was impossible with my current system. So knowing that my system was ancient by todays standards I set off to upgrade or at least add-to it, a few high resolution cameras in key area's.

I purchased a Swann SWDVK-849808 kit locally, which was 8x 5mp bullets with PIR, 8CH legacy DVR... The price was excellent and I know what the feeling is here about consumer level CCTV systems - I've been a member for a long time, even bought some of my replacement camera's for my D1 system from members here. BUT I again assumed even the consumer level stuff HAD to be an improvement over my aged setup.

I installed 3 of the 8 cameras, in the key positions to test the system... I'm very disappointed with the quality. Yes the images are much bigger but the quality TO ME seems to be about the same... I'm shocked.

I do not know who makes the swann dvr (these are BNC type cameras/dvr), I think some of the veterans here figured out the Q-see QT528 was actually made by Dahua, it just didn't have HDMI output. The Swann dvr does not allow me to save footage over LAN thru the web interface - only using the actual DVR and USB ports on the DVR? This can't be right!? The ability to pull off footage from the store while away is vital I would think. YES you can view recorded video over the web interface, but NOT actually save it via LAN/Web...? WHAT!?

The camera's ability to view INSIDE where there is shadow and light is terrible. Shadow area's are INCREDIBLY dark while the lighted area's look fine, trying to adjust the color/brightness of the camera results in overexposed lighted area to get the shadows (not well lit) area bright enough to see any details/features (ie: a face)

Now, after my long rant - I'm simply trying to get some help/advice here. Is this system worth trying to troubleshoot and tweak? I basically need 4 high resolution cameras that I can reliably get facial details and plate numbers. SUGGESTIONS?