Sign in to follow this  
dbdataplus

Recommendations based on features - vs Dahua

I inherited a set of installations that all use Dahua Xvr DVRs and after having some months experience with them I know (I think) what to look for.

Basically, the hardware is fine. I prefer hard wired cameras as opposed to IP but I'm not a Luddite and I'll go where the market goes, but what I can't seem to get past is the bizarre software that these units have. Setup is OK, it's not terribly intuitive but it is a once & done thing. The problem is in search and playback. The local tools, involving a web browser, involve the downloading of some Active X cabinets that Windows treats like toxic waste, several of the DVR's require different versions so the downloading happens frequently ... and then when you are connected the screens for search and playback look like they come from another planet.

Worse ... downloading ... I put in my search criteria and I get 8 pages of files and the software won;t let me select all files, only by page ... so I have to select all on this page, then wait for the download which even to a PC on the same local switch is barely 1300KB/s and then I have to go to the next page and repeat, etc.

And more ... when I finally get them all downloaded the tools that Dahua has "smart player" and "pss" are barely comprehensible.

So what I'm asking is what brands of DVR/NVR out there have software that was tested and approved by actual normal people before it was shipped? Intuitive and logical? I honestly can't look at this Dahua stuff and think that there is a person on the planet that would call it intuitive.

I'm ready to junk all 10 boxes if there are better ones. Any suggestions?