Sign in to follow this  
scoobybpc

HikVision EZVIZ - Not connecting and DVR freezing! Help!

Hi everyone,

Sadly this is my first forum post.

I bought my first camera system for some light duty monitoring - EZVIZ 1080p:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1344072-REG/ezviz_bd_1424b1_v2_1080p_ev_kit.html

unfortunately I havent even installed these yet but I've been having numerous issues, all of which are with remote connection.

First off, i can see the live feed from my phone/desktop whether or not im on wifi or mobile.

The issue comes from when I try to remotely play something back on the hard drive. for example, I can log in on my phone and see the live feed usually without any issue, but the second i start trying to play back recorded footage it gets laggy. When I try and switch back to live view the DVR loses connection completely.

When the DVR looses connection i tried to see what was happening on the actual DVR connected to my tv, but its totally frozen. it wont let me select anything, open menus, etc - except the video feed still shows and its still recording.

The freezing can last 5 minutes or it can last an hour. I can simply power the DVR down and start over which works, but this is not an acceptable solution.

I was wondering if maybe my router could be causing the issue? I'm running out of things to try. When accessing playback on the DVR directly it has no issues at all. I tried restoring default settings/formatting the drive but this didnt work either.

I should add that this happens basically everytime I attempt to do this on my mobile network, but it still happens occasionally (but less) when i attempt to do it while connected to the same wifi network.

At first I thought it was because of my mega-slow upload speeds, but this shouldnt lock the DVR up completely...

Hopefully someone can lend a hand. I just got the system from B&H and i'd rather not have to pay for shipping to return it

A few things to try/ check:

1 Do you have 4G on your smart phone.

2 Are you at your mobile data cap? you could be throttled by your mobile provider.

3 What internet speed you have at home. When streaming its recommended at least 5G upload speed for best performance.

4 Age of router or Modem/ Router combo. May need replacement.

5 In your DVR make sure all your settings for streaming are correct (lower rate uses less bandwith)

A few things to try/ check:

1 Do you have 4G on your smart phone.

2 Are you at your mobile data cap? you could be throttled by your mobile provider.

3 What internet speed you have at home. When streaming its recommended at least 5G upload speed for best performance.

4 Age of router or Modem/ Router combo. May need replacement.

5 In your DVR make sure all your settings for streaming are correct (lower rate uses less bandwith)

Thank you so much for the reply!

So I narrowed it down, it is in fact my slow upload speeds that were causing the freezing. Sadly I'm limited to a little below 1mbps for upload speeds - this has never been an issue for me before, but I've never had to upload a feed like this.

My system has a mainstream and substream setting. Substream effects the live stream that I see from my phone, but as soon as i try and scroll back in time it pulls the full quality mainstream. This explains why everytime I tried to playback video from the DVR, it would cause issues.

to experiment i dropped my main stream down to 6fps and 896 bitrate at 1080p, sure enough i now have no problem remotely playing back content on the harddrive.

So basically my options are:

- Get better internet

- run the lower fps/bitrate - benefits are I can remotely playback stuff on my phone, plus more recording time on the hard drive. - cons are lower quality.

- Run higher fps/bitrate - I can still remotely see live view without any issue (because the substream will be set lower), but I wont be able to remotely playback content on the hard drive. But the benefit would be better video quality.

I'm leaning towards forgoing some quality (where I have it set at now) and being able to remotely play back, though I'm not sure how much I'll really need this feature. This is for residential use (one at front door, one over drive way, one at back door).