Sign in to follow this  
NeuronX

Wireless IP Camera and NAS

I've just pre-ordered the new Reolink RLC-423WD as my first camera and I would really like to avoid having to store additional hardware such as an NVR. I've got an ASUS RT-AC87U which has a a 3TB HDD attached to it. Could I use this NAS to record and store video like NVRs and cloud based services? The router has a 1.0 Ghz dual processor and 256 MB of RAM. If possible is there software available for NAS to encode to the H.264 standard and organize the video library? I ask as I read the recording to NAS means the coding will likely be in AVi and the file organization will be messy.

If it is at all possible what are the drawbacks compared to a dedicated NVR system?

Cheers

Hello. If your router's NAS is accessible via FTP, your camera may be able to save video to it, or at least still pictures.

Thank you for the reply. Yes, I can access my NAS through FTP and often do, so it'll be a case of the format that the camera's video is encoded and how the file system is constructed to whether it's worth while going down the NAS route of whether to purchase an NVR.

Cheers,

Ian

If it is at all possible what are the drawbacks compared to a dedicated NVR system?

Without an NVR, it will be harder to search your video files as there will be nothing to categorize / log events.

But you maybe fine with a combination of in camera notifications and/or viewing the files manually on the NAS.