Sign in to follow this  
hoofster

DVR in attic?

I'm just setting up my first system at my home and I think I would prefer to place the DVR in the attic near where the cables come through my gable end. I do have a professionally fitted plug socket up there too.

I live in Lancashire so the weather isn't too extreme and my attic isn't very well lagged so probably warm enough in winter but would my DVR be all right in the summer?

I suggest to put your DVR in a DVR lock box since it will reside in the attic. These units come with built in fans that maintains constant air circulation to keep your DVR in a stable temperature and keep dust away.

Run the rest of the cables, including your network cable properly and you will be good to go… and program your DVR using remote client software..

program your DVR using remote client software..
Could you point me in the right direction please, what software do I need on my PC?

Am I right in thinking if I have a long hdmi cable going from my monitor and a long ethernet cable from my router, both to the DVR in the attic, then, with the right software I will be able to operate the DVR from my PC?

Here is how I will do it…

Take the DVR and program all the necessities on your desk – statis IP adress, passwords, cameras resolution, etc before you take it to attic. Once you move it to the attic, you do not need long HDMI cable to connect to this DVR for any purpose nor will need mouse or keyboard connection.. However you will need length of Ethernet cable from the DVR to connect to your router. That is it!

You also have to program your router (open specific ports, assign specific internal or external static IP addresses, etc.) to allow remote or even local access to your DVR.

You did not mention the make and the model for your DVR. I have not seen any DVR or NVR that did not come with or did not have remote client software, allowing you to connect to your DVR locally or remotely. Once you tell us the make and the model of your DVR, then I am sure the forum will advise what to use.

Hope this helps.

Hi. The problem with remote clients is there nothing like the on screen display.

If you can get a cat5 from loft to a tv in bedroom then you can transmit your HDMI to that for £10

For internet connection I would use netgear Ethernet over power for £24

Hi. The problem with remote clients is there nothing like the on screen display.

If you can get a cat5 from loft to a tv in bedroom then you can transmit your HDMI to that for £10

For internet connection I would use netgear Ethernet over power for £24

But how would I operate the dvr? Now I have my dvr next to my PC at mt desk and I operate the dvr with a mouse plugged into the front of the dvr.