Fata Morgana

Digital security system for side street shop - suggestions?

Hello.

I have a small shop on three levels and need to ideally have a record of what's happening and what has already happened.

There is High Speed BT broadband throughout the building and the units will be inside the building which is approx 15m long by 4m wide on two levels, and 8m x 4m on the third level.

High ceilings throughout.

Best if I could have a live view onto the two levels above the ground floor where the till / desk is located. Also an idea to have access to review the footage, though space is a problem at the front desk area.

Thank you.

FM

I'm in the northern Lakes / ****ermouth / Penrith area.

Hello.

I have a small shop on three levels and need to ideally have a record of what's happening and what has already happened.

There is High Speed BT broadband throughout the building and the units will be inside the building which is approx 15m long by 4m wide on two levels, and 8m x 4m on the third level.

High ceilings throughout.

Best if I could have a live view onto the two levels above the ground floor where the till / desk is located. Also an idea to have access to review the footage, though space is a problem at the front desk area.

Thank you.

FM

I'm in the northern Lakes / ****ermouth / Penrith area.

Hi. I have a view hotel systems in ****ermouth.... Got some footage here of the bad floods a few years ago. In the Wordsworth hotel.

High street corner shop is ok but don't waste your money on something that your local council is no good.

It depends on what you sell in your shop. If you sell alcohol or if you have a national lottery terminal you will also need a camera outside your shop.

But I would look at HD 5mp IP system which will give you nice clear footage.

Will you be installing yourself and what is your budget.

Sorry, very confused, you own a hotel, "a view hotel systems in ****ermouth" ?

Not sure what you mean, "but don't waste your money on something that your local council is no good." My local council are not involved in my internal CCTV / surveillance decisions.

Unsure about the installation, wired needs help doing so, wifi and stand-alone wireless is a better idea.

FM

Sorry, very confused, you own a hotel, "a view hotel systems in ****ermouth" ?

Not sure what you mean, "but don't waste your money on something that your local council is no good." My local council are not involved in my internal CCTV / surveillance decisions.

Unsure about the installation, wired needs help doing so, wifi and stand-alone wireless is a better idea.

FM

We have installations in ****ermouth.

Your a public space so yes dpa are involved .... no way past that

So you need something better than crap from eBay.

You did not say if you sell alcohol or lottery ?

“We”?

Dpa?

We are still no closer to a working solution now than when I first posted my question, does anybody here have any thoughts on a system that would be suitable please?

“We”?

Dpa?

We are still no closer to a working solution now than when I first posted my question, does anybody here have any thoughts on a system that would be suitable please?

That’s because you don’t leave information requested

D p a data protection ... if you don’t think it applies to you then you need to do more research

You have said nothing about if you sell alcohol or have lottery terminal.

There are laws you have to understand installing in your shop.

It does not involve more money but it does help you not to waste your money if you buy a system that fails to comply

We

Dpa

We have a lot of customers in ****ermouth.

But to keep it simple.....

Tell us your budget

Tell us if you sell alcohol or lottery

Do you just want to buy the equipment or are you looking for it to be installed

Thanks but I came here to find more info and that is not really happening.

To others reading this post, if you have information to add, that would be most appreciated.

Thanks but I came here to find more info and that is not really happening.

To others reading this post, if you have information to add, that would be most appreciated.

But your not giving any info

You have cctv laws in the uk .... if you don’t install to those laws the fine is £10.000

Your not answering questions to be able to help you

What is your budget

Do you sell alcohol or lottery

Let me see if I can offer some advice.

I would begin by identifying you key areas e.g tills main entrance, stock room and safe etc. I would recommend looking at higher resolution cameras for these lets say 4-5 megapixel to ensure that you have plenty of detail for facial recognition. You can then look at the remaining areas that may not be as important and cover these with lower resolution cameras say 2MP 1080p. This will help keep costs down.

Find a suitable location for your recording equipment which is secure from public access and restricted to staff either by means of a locked door or you could utilise a security cabinet a bit like one of these https://connectec.uk/security/cctv/cctv-accessories/cctv-recorder-accessories/lockable-cctv-recorder-dvr-nvr-metal-enclosure this will help you keep your system compliant with the ICO guidelines. You should also password protect the recording equipment and display CCTV signs on all the entrances.

With regards to which type of system to use, you have two main technologies to chose from. IP or Analogue (TVI,AHD,CVI.....) There are pro's and cons to both but IP will typically cost more but usually provides better results, functionality and is simpler and neater to install if you use a plug and play system like the Hiwatch/Hikvision or similar brands. With IP systems you can simply plug an ethernet cable between the recorder and the camera without the requirement for additional power supplies etc as most support POE if you buy a POE recorder.

To split the video signal you can buy HDMI KVM splitter which allow multiple monitors to be displayed from 1 output or you could use a VGA output and a HDMI output simultaneously if the recorder you have has both. Just make sure you use the other monitors as spot monitors as you don't want to broadcast what your doing to the rest of the shop.

If you can't cable the system, you will be quite limited in terms of camera choice and will most likely have to install a cheap ebay oem wireless kit as most professional brands would require advanced knowledge to set up and configure correctly.

My recommendation would be to get a quote from a local company for a wired IP system or attempt DIY if you feel confident enough with the cabling side.