Heaney555

PC Based NVR Questions

Hi.

Looking to build a PC based NVR.

I have some questions though:

A) Is there anywhere I can find a performance (optimisation) comparison of the most optimised PC-NVR software there is (preferably free, but if none of the free ones are close to paid ones, then paid)? Does anyone have any data at all?

B) What would be the best (as in, comfortably handles, but not overkill on price) CPU for 4 channel, 8 channel, 16 channel, 32 channel, 64 channel, 128 channel, etc (if 5 megapixel)?

C) Is any of the software GPU accelerated, or are they all CPU bound?

D) What mobos to people often use (I'm assuming mini-ITX form, but don't know exactly what)?

E) What are the popular, affordable, cases for a mini-ITX mobo?

F) What do people usually do for input? Switches? Could I use this: http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/networking/switches/32plusportswitches/tl-sf1048.html ?

*Any* relevant information at all would be amazing, thanks.

Edited by Guest

I think you first need to figure out what you want..is it going to be a 4 camera install or 128?

Before choosing a pc and software you need to determine what the project will be...

There is no such thing as an NVR card...you dont need a card for ip cameras....that would be pointless..

Also what 5mp camera do you intend to use? do not buy some no name brand off ebay and expect it to be of any quality...also with high megapixel cams like that, nightvision is often poor....

I'm not sure how many I want, that depends completely on cost.

I want to know what sort of system I would need for 8 camera, 16 camera, 32 camera, and 64 camera setups.

I'm willing to spend as much as possible on the cameras, I just want to keep the PC cost as low as possible. These are the requirements I was given by my boss.

This makes no sense at all, sorry...is it 8 or 64, that is a huge difference....What is your budget?

There are tons of threads here about lots of different setups..

64 camera setups are complex because of the all the writing to disks that needs to be spread out...also there is a viewing issue with respect to splitting the streams on several monitors..

Good luck

The requirement is for as many cameras as is affordable. I cannot tell you the exact budget.

We may also be using different numbers of cameras at different site.

If there's a huge difference in 8 and 64, then please tell me that difference, as a CPU.