gmartz

Storing CCTV recordings to NAS

We have this issue when CCTV recordings skips and hangs when being to stored to the NAS. On the other hand, there's no problem when it comes to storing it on the PC's local disk/HDD.

The system consist of about 19-20 IP CCTV Cameras. The idea is when the storage of the PC's local disk/HDD reached a particular level, it will then store the recorded files to the NAS so that the PC's storage won't be full. Btw, we use NVS Client software on the PC.

Any suggestions/recommendations?

We have this issue when CCTV recordings skips and hangs when being to stored to the NAS. On the other hand, there's no problem when it comes to storing it on the PC's local disk/HDD.

The system consist of about 19-20 IP CCTV Cameras. The idea is when the storage of the PC's local disk/HDD reached a particular level, it will then store the recorded files to the NAS so that the PC's storage won't be full. Btw, we use NVS Client software on the PC.

Any suggestions/recommendations?

How much spare network bandwidth do you have? If you have a spare PCI or PCI-E slot you could install a new network interface card dedicated to the NAS connection. Also if the processor is going flat out writing files it will struggle to transfer files to the NAS. Perhaps you can schedule for say 3am when there is less camera activity.

How much spare network bandwidth do you have? If you have a spare PCI or PCI-E slot you could install a new network interface card dedicated to the NAS connection. Also if the processor is going flat out writing files it will struggle to transfer files to the NAS. Perhaps you can schedule for say 3am when there is less camera activity.

Sorry but how do I check how much spare network bandwidth I have? I have to double-check but I think the NAS and IP cameras are all connected on the same switch (Cisco® SRW248G4P 48-Port 10/100 + 4-Port Gigabit Switch). Should I separate the NAS from the IP cameras?

Sorry but how do I check how much spare network bandwidth I have? I have to double-check but I think the NAS and IP cameras are all connected on the same switch (Cisco® SRW248G4P 48-Port 10/100 + 4-Port Gigabit Switch). Should I separate the NAS from the IP cameras?

Your switch has a tool to work it out.

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/csbms/srw248g4p/administration/guide/SRW248G4P_ug.pdf

look up Chapter 5 Statistics>Port utilisation.

Have you got the NAS on a gigabit port or a 10/100 port?

Your switch has a tool to work it out.

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/csbms/srw248g4p/administration/guide/SRW248G4P_ug.pdf

look up Chapter 5 Statistics>Port utilisation.

Have you got the NAS on a gigabit port or a 10/100 port?

I'll check it out. It should on the gigabit port, right?

Yes and so should your PC. What sort of PC have you got? It could also be as simple as your PC is underpowered and asking it to move files, whilst at the same time writing files from 20 cams, is causing it to struggle.