cg

Trouble booting up!

I am running Windows 98 SE

When I boot up my computer it stops at a page (looks like dos) that says C:\, it waits for me to add "win" once I have done that it boots up properly and everything works.

What has happened here? At one time the computer would boot up fully with no problem, I did not have to type in "win"

I checked to see if my msdos.sys file was wrong but it said "BootGUI=1" as it should

I also added "win" to the autoexec.bat file but it still will not boot up as it should.

I suppose the best way would be to reinstall Windows 98 but when I try that it will not accept the serial number, which I know is correct.

Have you run system file checker yet? (sfc.exe) Are the paths set correctly in your MSDos.sys file? What line did you add to the autoexec.bat.

Have you run system file checker yet? (sfc.exe)

Yes. Nothing seemed wrong

Are the paths set correctly in your MSDos.sys file?.

so! how would I check that? Should SFC found that?

What line did you add to the autoexec.bat.

At the end, on a new line.

No, SFC wouldn't have found it. I ment if I could see the actul line you typed in. If you could post the full line of your autoexex.bat and msdos.sys it would help.

No, SFC wouldn't have found it. I ment if I could see the actul line you typed in. If you could post the full line of your autoexex.bat and msdos.sys it would help.

Strange thing! When I opened it again the "win" that I typed in before was gone!

Here is how it looks now after I added the 'win" again.

SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 H7 P330 T6

SET SBPCI=C:\PROGRA~1\CREATIVE\AUDIO\DOSDRV

win

I just restarted with the "win" in place. I then checked the autoexex file and the "win" was gone again!

Add:

PATH C:\;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM

c:\windows\win

Make sure both of those lines are in there. If path exsists then make sure the parts of the line I gave are presant.

Add:

PATH C:\;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM

c:\windows\win

Make sure both of those lines are in there. If path exsists then make sure the parts of the line I gave are presant.

I did what you said. I even copied and pasted but it made no difference.

I checked the file again and PATH C:\;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM

c:\windows\win is not there! I know I saved it. Why would it disappear?

Because it's a locked system file. Boot into DOS then use the attrib command. It's syntax is ATTRIB [+R | -R] [+A | -A] [+S | -S] [+H |-H][[drive:][path]filename]

You want to use all of the - ones the first time, and when you finsh editing it in the edit program use attrib again and reset it's status.

Because it's a locked system file. Boot into DOS then use the attrib command. It's syntax is ATTRIB [+R | -R] [+A | -A] [+S | -S] [+H |-H][[drive:][path]filename]

You want to use all of the - ones the first time, and when you finsh editing it in the edit program use attrib again and reset it's status.

You are WAY beyond me here!

Anyhow, I tried to restart in DOS and all I got was a black screen with the curser flashing in the upper left. It would respond to no keys, I could type in nothing!