rory

XP SP2

As some here know, I use to (still do on lower CPUs - under 1500mhz) live by Windows ME, but due to hardware issues on my PC I have been struggling with windows ME over the past months, thinking it was hardware issues, let alone windows XP Pro which was 100% slower.

But since yesterday I upgraded to Windows XP PRo, then Upgraded to SP2 and Nortons Upgrade, etc, is so much faster and stable, seems they really worked out the problems they had with previous versions of windows, finally, inlcuding the XP pro issues. Ofcourse I have also disabled alot of running services that I never use, so that speeds it up alot, though im still running the Web Server with IIS and its running smooth.

Dont know how this relates to DVR Cards as I dont use them currently, just wanted to share some feedback on this.

So you know where Im coming from, its a 2.2Ghz Celleron, 128MB Shared Memory with Video, so thats why I was using Windows ME. XP Home & Pro I have used before just slowed it down so much. The upgrade to XP PRo and SP2, is much faster, even as fast as Windows ME, though more stable. No hardware problems as I was getting before. Perhaps the moboard drivers are better suited for this version of XP?

Yes I know I need more memory and a seperate Video Card, but for now ...

Anyway, Nortons is totally updated, Windows FireWall is on, and GRC Shields Up doesnt see any open ports, unless I unckeck use Exceptions in the firewall for the HTTP server. My router is shot so until I get a new one at $145 im left with this for now, rather spend the cash on the video card and memory for now.

Im using Firefox Browser, its a little slower than Internet Explorer, when switching between programs, but when you are in it totally, opening new windows and browsing are very fast. Memory & Video card will probably change this.

I tried the Thunderbird Email from Mozilla also, but it is much slower than Outlook Express so Im going back to OE, for now, Ill try again when I get more memory and the video card. Thunderbird has some good Junk Mail features though as it learns as you apply something as junk mail. It works with multiple email accounts also. One problem I have seen is that I have been getting alerts that there are 1 or 2 emails, etc,, but then nothing appears anywhere, so thats one thing I need to look into.

Okay so Ive also turned off a lot of services, including the messenger service for starters, and MSN messenger, which is a little harder to get rid of. I dont use MSN. Also Wireless Zero, Clipbook, Alerter, Remote Desktop, etc, and well many others I wont get into here. Im running Spybot Immunisation and the Windows Firewall, Nortons Updated, and probably going to install Zone Alarm just for kicks and SpyHunter for Startup. Also in MS config nothing is on start up besides Norton Related products. Theme is windows Classic, all effects are turned off, Performance is set to high in System, Advanced, Performance. System restore is off, Remote Assistance is off, Auto Updates are off for everything. Task Schedular is disabled in services. Screen Saver is off.

Outlook express Download Preview email is disabled, set to high security.

Any other tips .. would be appreciated.

Im keeping Internet Explorer just so I can use it to test my ActiveX controls with.

Thanks

rory

They did do alot of clean up but I still won't trust the windows firewall. They fixed the bug in which it started after you connected to the internet.

Rory have you tried the extentions like flash-click to play or adblock? No popups and flash at will make the web a happy happy place.

Actually the firewall is pretty good, It blocks everything from the Shields Up test at www.grc.com, no ports are open, unless i set an exception such as the web server.

Yes turned on all that, no pop ups, block installs of software.

Means i just have to goto IE to use my software, but all other sites im using ff

Well, I am using the Firefox browser, but to be honest, I'm having problems with it connecting to certain DVRS, but other than that it works great.

Yep, no activeX, it is a slow browser also (memory hog), IE is much faster, but for security reasons .. its good.

I'd have to agree about the Windows firewall. I had been using the Bitdefender suite not knowing that the firewall is useless and leaves ports open. The Windows XP2 firewall is much better. I also turn Indexing and Themes off and use Diskeeper 8.0 to keep the C: more or less permanently defragged.