CCTVINSTALLER

Linsys routers

Hi Guys,

What's the difference between the 2 linksys router, except you have to pay £30 more for the second one!

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=4598232634&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=51436

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=4598197348&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=59951

Whats the difference and which one would you use to connect a dvr to?, ive purchased a couple of the second ones, with good results just wondering why im paying £30 more

The 2nd one will allow you to link additional multiple routers/hubs/switches to extend the number of computers that can go online, while the first one is limited to a total of 4 connected computers. Both prices are cheap for a wireless Linksys router, at least compared to here!

One thing I noticed is the BEFW11S4 is 802.11b compliant (11Mbps for wireless) and the WAG54G is 802.11g compliant (54Mbps wireless) And it looks like the WAG54G might actually have an ADSL modem built in? I wonder if that is an added feature or if they took away the WAN port in favor of the ADSL modem?

Think you're right, the wag54G has a dsl rj11 socket connection, the other one has a wan connection, so you'd need an additional dsl modem. Thanks for clearing that up. Whats the difference between pppOA and pppOE, and why is it with the pppoA option, you can't enter the static IP youve been given by your ISP??

So what would you need? i have the following options:

- RFC 1483 Bridged

- RFC 1483 routed

- RFC 2516 PPPoE

- RFC 2364 PPPoA

- Bridged mode only

my ISP has given me a username and password and a usb modem ( using the linksys instead of the USB modem). Reason i ask you is because with the dg834g netgear router, we havent been entering the static IP, we just select "get dynamically from ISP" even though we have been given a static ip, same with dns server. the ip does not change, but i wonder, could this be the reason why the dsl signal keeps on dropping every now and then?

I'm not sure. Sounds like you guys do it different then we do.

My options are

Obtain IP automatically

Static IP

PPPOE

RAS

PPTP

Heart Beat Signal

Of course the ISP would know. But if you are just playing around with it I would try the bridged modes first. I think routed would be something you requested and typically comes with a block of IPs.

yeah what C7 said is what my routers have in them also.

just select STATIC IP and enter it there.

under Applications and Gaming (depends on the router)

Port Forwarding Range is what points the remote request to the DVR's port.

Ive never used it with DSL though as ADSL is too expensive down here.

this is the Linksys Router I always use:

http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?prid=20&scid=29

If they want wireless also then I add the wireless access point in addition to this. I think this is the one, id have to check as I only put in a couple so far:

http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&scid=35&prid=608

well the regular Linksys router has 4 ports for computers/DVRs, and 1 WAN port for Internet (actually sais Internet on it now). You connect the DSL/Cable Modem to the WAN/Internet Port using cat5 as the other ports.

Here we HAVE to use the cable/DSL modem supplied by the ISP we cannot buy our own.

Rory

PS. im getting time adjusted for the UK by staying up to 4-7am everynight now Actually just thought about it, that means im going to sleep at 9am-12noon UK time ... whoops, I guess I need to do it the other way around, go to sleep earlier and get up 5 hours earlier ...!! my bad ..