CCTVINSTALLER

ADSL LINK DOWN

Hi Guys, need help with router connection. Having real problems, every router we've used, we've had the same problem, the adsl link just goes down after a few weeks/months. We started of using the DG834 from netgear, after a few weeks, the dsl connection goes down and the only way to get it up and running is if you power it down and back up, obviously i dont want the customer pulling out the wrong connection so i have had to go to the customer and do it myself, when i checked it, the dsl link was down. So i contacted netgear's absolutely crap support in India with no luck. After reading a couple of posts i decided to go with the Linksys WAG54G router, to test it i installed it at my house, and after 2 weeks of perfect web browsing, it packed up (DSL link went down), so im trying to figure out why its doing this. Ive had the same problem at my customers place, regardless of the the ISP, we usually use BT for those who are in the UK. Take a look at the screen setup link below

http://www.geocities.com/digitalsystems1/

We have to use PPPoA, because we're given a Username and password, the ISP provides a USB which we just throw away, because theres no firewall prottection and they're USB modems which means they're crap. Any comments/suggestions will do, must be doing something wrong for this to occur! Thanks for the support in advance

I would try a few things:

1. Fiter everything in the house. Alarm line, fax line, second lines (takes a two line filter). Even jacks with no phone in them.

2. Dowload a free visual ping tool, and keep a ping going. Good start for diags you can get a graph of when the falure happens.

http://www.nessoft.com

http://www.obesearmadillo.com/software/pingometer15.html

3. Give your gear a static address outside of the DHCP range and set the DNS server on your computer or DVR to the external ISP DNS server, not the internal 192.168.1.1 that the Linksys DHCP will assign. Should be 24.28.99.62 type address not 192.168.x.x

5. Make sure you have the latest firmware. And disable anything you do not use.

6. Set the MTU size

Go to Start and select Run.

Type in cmd (Windows 2000/XP) or command (Windows 98/ME) into the Open: field. Hit the enter key or click OK. The DOS prompt should open.

At the DOS prompt, type in ping www.google.com -f -l 1492 and hit the Enter key.

Lower the size the packet in increments of +/-10 (e.g. 1472, 1462, 1440, 1400) until you have a packet size that does not fragment.

Begin increasing the packet size from this number in small increments until you find the largest size that does not fragment. Add 28 to that number (IP/ICMP headers) to get the optimal MTU setting. For example, if the largest packet size from ping tests is 1462, add 28 to 1462 to get a total of 1490 which is the optimal MTU setting.

And just for somthing else.

In your router on page one. fill in the host name and make it somthing unique.

Fill in the domain name and clone the MAC address of the first computer the was used to setup the account. For example if I hooked up the USB modem to start service with computer A, use computer A MAC address on the router external side. Some ISP's (mostley cable) will filter MAC addresses so that you do not steal service.

Hope something I said helped.

This may be a silly question, Are you meaning the IP that the ISP assigns you? If so, do you have a static IP address? Or do you mean the internal link? If so, do you have it set up as an Application in the router with port forwarding?

rory

rory,

You put the DVR in the DCHP range 192.168.1.100 - 192.168.1.149

That is not the best thing to do, you should make the DVR

192.168.1.2 - .99 or .150 - .254

There's no modem involved, with the Linksys WAG54G, there's a RJ11 connection for the dsl line, which connects to the dsl filter. Yes it does have PPPoE, but i cant use it because there's no place to enter your username and password.