steve6690

Zyxel ADSL router config

Help ! I have just ditched my PCI ADSL modem and bought a Zyxel P660HW wireless ADSL router. It works great but my Geo webcam server is not viewable on the web anymore. I suspect it is a port forwarding problem but the manual is less than helpful. Does anyone have experience of the Zyxel routers setup with Geo ? I changed to a router so I can build a dedicated pc for the Geo and have both pc on a wireless network.

Thanks in advance....

Steve

Basically I have changed to Geo http server to port 81. I have then gone into Dos prompt and typed IPCONFIG. It returned 192.168.1.33 as the ip address of my pc. I have then forwarded ports 81, 4550, 5550, and 6550 to 192.168.1.33 . If I understand correctly the webcam should now be viewable at http://81.86.129.112:81/ With my PCI modem I used to be able to type that address into my browser and it would work. I don't know if I can get away with that now so I had a friend try to access it and he couldn't. Have I ****ed it up ? thanks for your help

Edited by Guest

No, I installed SP2 a couple of months back and I only installed the router yesterday. The routers firewall has not been switched off. I was using XP's firewall until yesterday but I've switched it off

It's a 1Mb connection with Pipex. 256k upload. I have been playing with firewall rules. I bet I've buggered it up again now...

Heres an IP for my customer, 213.78.239.209, its also 256kb upload, trying to figure out why it is so slow to download all the webcam components compared to yours

I see what you mean - it is very slow. Almost like I'm viewing it over dial-up. Can I be cheeky and ask if mine is still working please. I've tried disabling the firewall rule I created.

no it was the router firewall. I had set up port forwarding correctly it seems but hadn't set a firewall rule allowing requests on the relevant ports from the Internet into the LAN. It worked ok then so I turned the rule off and now it's not working. I've just turned the rule back on so I am hoping it should be working again.

Fantastic ! what a pain that was. Thanks for your help. I wonder why your clients upload is so slow. I know some ISPs don't like you running a server and do things to discourage it. I would have thought they'd just disable inbound connections on port 80 if that was the case though. Might be worth clarifying with OneTel what their policy is. One way round it might be to try configuring Geo to use another port for the webcam feature. I'm using 81 but I've heard 8080 is a popular choice.

Update : I've changed the webcam port to 8080 instead of 81 - in case anyone wants to have a go.