rory

Remote Video Software

has anyone else here seen or written any custom software for Kalatel DVRs, or another Brand of DVR? Looking for fellow programmers.

Also, i have a Cable Modem and a hub. 1 PC only and the StoreSAfe DVR connected. Using an IP the IP in the StoreSafe and the PC need to have the same IP range eg. 24.244.134.*. However the StoreSafe supports DHCP, and the machine has a name in it which cant be changed.

Anyway, i enable it, so I dont have to use the IP feature. When i try to connect it doesnt. On the PC is there anything i need to do to get it to work? Im not familiar with DHCP. The Storesafe will come up with pop up errors saying DHCP could not be renewed, so I switched back to IP.

Any ideas?? thanks

Rory

I am not really sure if this is your problem but DHCP is the automatic distribution of I/P adresses, There are two things to take into consideration in regards to this matter.

1/ If you want to connect to your system via I/P from another off site location then you will need to know the I/P address of the system, however unless you pay for a Static I/P then your I/P address will change everytime your machine connects to the internet or even while you are connected. If you fix your I/P address to a local addres on your internal network then you should be able to connect to it through your local LAN network. In your case it would seem you have two machines connected on the one lan, which one is serving the I/P adresses if you are using DHCP?

Also are you sure you are not using a Router which would require port forwarding to be able to connect to the box in question.

Give me some more info and I wills ee what i can come up with.

2/ Try setting your subnet to 255.255.255.*

and make your PC 192.168.0.2 and make the DVR 192.168.0.3 and then try to ping 192.168.0.3 and see if it bounces back to your PC

When you ping it as Fixed I/P can the other machine get a response!

hi, thanks.

Yes i am using a hub only. I have several online using a hub only with no problems. Just the cable company wants extra cash for extra IPs. They used to allow one static and one dynamic for no extra charge but they got greedy.

Im getting a router as i was told you can assign one port to point to a certain device using the static IP. Then all will be able to get online.

But if i can do this home system with jus the hub it would be better, just dont think i will be able to. The DVR is not going online, just the computer, and they dont need a static IP for the PC. Thing is the StoreSafe has this DHCP built in as an option to a standard IP address. What I need to know, is how do you set up the PC, which is already connection to the internet through the hub, to connect to the DVR using the DHCP option. I dont know anything about DHCP. I imagine igts just connecting to a name instead of an IP, but i tried that and no luck. Do i need an extra network card for this to work?? Or do I need to add another connection using the same IP? OR, i guess i probably cant connect to the local DVR as the computer is already online as cable is always on.

Thanks

Rory

I am not really sure if this is your problem but DHCP is the automatic distribution of I/P adresses, There are two things to take into consideration in regards to this matter.

1/ If you want to connect to your system via I/P from another off site location then you will need to know the I/P address of the system, however unless you pay for a Static I/P then your I/P address will change everytime your machine connects to the internet or even while you are connected. If you fix your I/P address to a local addres on your internal network then you should be able to connect to it through your local LAN network. In your case it would seem you have two machines connected on the one lan, which one is serving the I/P adresses if you are using DHCP?

Also are you sure you are not using a Router which would require port forwarding to be able to connect to the box in question.

Give me some more info and I wills ee what i can come up with.

2/ Try setting your subnet to 255.255.255.*

and make your PC 192.168.0.2 and make the DVR 192.168.0.3 and then try to ping 192.168.0.3 and see if it bounces back to your PC

When you ping it as Fixed I/P can the other machine get a response!

Ok now we are getting somewhere, DHCP has nothing to do with the name that is DNS Domain Name Serving.

DHCP allows your I/P to refresh all the time with a new one..

1/ I do not know this sure safe product at all is it PC Based or Standalone?

Set your DVR to subnet 255.255.255.0 and I/P 192.168.0.3 (Fixed)

Set your PC to Subnet 255.255.255.0 and I/P 192.168.0.2 (Fixed)

Then you should be able to ping the DVR from your Computer and all should work fine.

If you can not Fix the I/P of the standalone and it uses DHCP only then

2/ Turn on internet connection sharing on your PC this will enable your PC to be a DHCP server and it will issue an address to both your PC and your Standalone, problem is that you will not always know what it is!

The problem you have is that you have DHCP turned on and you have nothing to serve the machines with an I/P, its like this... if you fix it ..it knows where it lives but if you want it to fetch one it has to know where to get it from and you do not have a DHCP issuing server so it looks but cant refresh the I/P.

You need to turn on internet connection sharing and make your PC a DHCP server if you want to use DHCP. OR

3/ Buy a router and set it to issue DHCP to all your machines, also tell it to only use a range of say 3 I/P adresses for instance 192.168.0.2, 192.168.0.3 and 192.168.0.4 then you have only three possible I/P's that it can use so you will always no it is at least one of the three.

Lastly I think what your trying to do is connect to an outside I/P range, for example 10.1.1.3 or 192.168.0.2 are internal addreses and work only on a lan, if you try to connect to 202.168.45.12 then you are trying to connect to something through the internet so if you were to type that into your browser it will head in the direction of your cable modem and internet rateher than on your lan... look simply buy a router and if you can afford it get a static I/P.. also you could use a Dynamic I/P mapping program if you needed it.

thanks, this gives me something to play with. Looks like ill need a router in the end anyway, but ill still play with the DHCP to see how it works.

Thanks

Rory

Ok now we are getting somewhere, DHCP has nothing to do with the name that is DNS Domain Name Serving.

DHCP allows your I/P to refresh all the time with a new one..

1/ I do not know this sure safe product at all is it PC Based or Standalone?

Set your DVR to subnet 255.255.255.0 and I/P 192.168.0.3 (Fixed)

Set your PC to Subnet 255.255.255.0 and I/P 192.168.0.2 (Fixed)

Then you should be able to ping the DVR from your Computer and all should work fine.

If you can not Fix the I/P of the standalone and it uses DHCP only then

2/ Turn on internet connection sharing on your PC this will enable your PC to be a DHCP server and it will issue an address to both your PC and your Standalone, problem is that you will not always know what it is!

The problem you have is that you have DHCP turned on and you have nothing to serve the machines with an I/P, its like this... if you fix it ..it knows where it lives but if you want it to fetch one it has to know where to get it from and you do not have a DHCP issuing server so it looks but cant refresh the I/P.

You need to turn on internet connection sharing and make your PC a DHCP server if you want to use DHCP. OR

3/ Buy a router and set it to issue DHCP to all your machines, also tell it to only use a range of say 3 I/P adresses for instance 192.168.0.2, 192.168.0.3 and 192.168.0.4 then you have only three possible I/P's that it can use so you will always no it is at least one of the three.

Lastly I think what your trying to do is connect to an outside I/P range, for example 10.1.1.3 or 192.168.0.2 are internal addreses and work only on a lan, if you try to connect to 202.168.45.12 then you are trying to connect to something through the internet so if you were to type that into your browser it will head in the direction of your cable modem and internet rateher than on your lan... look simply buy a router and if you can afford it get a static I/P.. also you could use a Dynamic I/P mapping program if you needed it.

I would suggest the router as the easiest of solutions and the leqast time consuming + you get a firewall which should help to protect you.

i have had one in the car sinc last week. havent had the chance to test yet, hopefully tomorrow or the next day.

PS. ever had any experience with FOCUS FS100A Ball Cameras? Im moving some from an old shop to a new one. They are the ones that get power off the monitor, cheapos!! Anyway, spent all afternoon testing to find out which wire was for which, as the yhavent worked for months, its not my client, just aked to move them. Somone cut them off from the original monitors and RCAd to a PC based DVR (none ive ever heard of, i think it was 123 CCTV Multi PC DVR or something, ill know more tomorrow). System is running win98 loaded to the brim with tons of startup programs, i suggested highly they pay me to reformat with xp or 2000 (i only have xp right now but they could buy/borrow 2000), tweaked of course!

Anyway, i found a 15V DC 2000MA plug that will power all 6 cameras, without the monitors, but ended up they get negative for the video and power off the same stranded cable from the power supply, video is the center cable, positive is positive, and audio, is one wire only, yellow! Anyway, in the end it will be easy to hook up as i will just use the 2 pair telephone wire they ran for power, and just hide the coax for a future upgrade to a better camera.

Reason i asked is i only found info on these online on a canadian web site and an australian web site. no others. They are BW with 2 lux, 350TVL, truly pathetic as a BW camera!! Im not sure if it is an american manufacturer or not though. The cables are telephone type, but custom.

Thing is they sell them for like $100 for a system with monitor cameras etc. THis company makes ALOT of profit as its a world known clothing co, but i guess they will eventually upgrade. At least i will get it working for now, since they havent had working video recording for months now, when they though they did!

I have seen similar camera monitor kits sold here, but I have always told the customer to get rid of them rather than play with them, if you want to pay the freight I can see if they are still floating around and you can play with them, but they are junk.

I have seen similar camera monitor kits sold here, but I have always told the customer to get rid of them rather than play with them, if you want to pay the freight I can see if they are still floating around and you can play with them, but they are junk.

No please! No i just wanted t o know if you heard of them, dont send them! . The clients said they didnt want to upgrade just yet, i tried and tried but they just dont want to spend the dollars for new cameras yet.

I hate these cameras with a vengeance! but i really need the extra money which is the only reason i touched the job.

Learnt long ago not to touch that ....that isnt mine! ends up costing more... but if you need the work I understand.. PS your brother looking ofr a job at all is he in this industry?

hi, no he is currently working for delta airlines. not sure what area he is looking to work in, ill ask, thanks

Rory

If anyone is interested, there is something called dns2go

http://www.dns2go.com

They will give you a domain that will constantly monitor your changing IP address from your ISP so that you can always find your video server behind your router. I signed up for their 30 day trial, and it works great.

yeah there is also noIP.com, its free and does the same, you run a small program on your computer which monitors it.

But then you need to leave a computer on 24/7, for stand alones it is annoying. Does anyone know if there isa seperate device that will do this?

Rory

has anyone else here seen or written any custom software for Kalatel DVRs, or another Brand of DVR? Looking for fellow programmers.

Also, i have a Cable Modem and a hub. 1 PC only and the StoreSAfe DVR connected. Using an IP the IP in the StoreSafe and the PC need to have the same IP range eg. 24.244.134.*. However the StoreSafe supports DHCP, and the machine has a name in it which cant be changed.

Anyway, i enable it, so I dont have to use the IP feature. When i try to connect it doesnt. On the PC is there anything i need to do to get it to work? Im not familiar with DHCP. The Storesafe will come up with pop up errors saying DHCP could not be renewed, so I switched back to IP.

Any ideas?? thanks

Are you using any type of a router to assign IP addresses? In my area our cable company only allows 1 public IP address to be assigned per customer (unless you pay them more $$$). this means we need to install a router that utilizen nat to route multiple private IOP addresses to 1 Public IP. this may be why you are having problems with your software. If you do not have easy access to a router you can use internet connection sharing (win 2000 or win XP) you will need t natwork cards to do this. this will allow your host PC to act as a router to the internet and at the same time act as a DHCP server on the private side of your network.

I hope this helps.

yeah thanks, I got it a while back, working with routers with port forwarding, works great and saves me the extra $100 for cable that they want for another IP..

Rory

yeah, im looking for a device now that acts like the no ip software, for the stand alone DVR, anyone seen anything like this, so I dont have to leave the computer on all the time.

Thanks

Rory

DLink Routers support Dynamic DNS now. I have a No-IP account and I run my remote sites with DLink and haven't really had too many problems, except for the odd time where the router hangs and needs to be rebooted but for the savings ($50 for the router) I don't mind having to reboot it once in a while, doesn't result in any lost video so I'm OK there

From what I've seen most consumer routers (DLink, SMC, LinkSys) are moving towards Dynamic DNS support and with Cisco buying LinkSys you are going to start seeing some pretty cool features in their routers shortly, Bandwidth Priority being the one I'm waiting for.

Here's a link to Google on free DNS providers, there are tons of them

http://www.google.ca/search?q=%22Dynamic+DNS%22+%22free%22&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&meta=

Great group, I will be posting often because I have a ton of questions and a lot of answers, especially in networking.

Cheers

Kake

DLink Routers support Dynamic DNS now. I have a No-IP account and I run my remote sites with DLink and haven't really had too many problems, except for the odd time where the router hangs and needs to be rebooted but for the savings ($50 for the router) I don't mind having to reboot it once in a while, doesn't result in any lost video so I'm OK there

From what I've seen most consumer routers (DLink, SMC, LinkSys) are moving towards Dynamic DNS support and with Cisco buying LinkSys you are going to start seeing some pretty cool features in their routers shortly, Bandwidth Priority being the one I'm waiting for.

Here's a link to Google on free DNS providers, there are tons of them

http://www.google.ca/search?q=%22Dynamic+DNS%22+%22free%22&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&meta=

Great group, I will be posting often because I have a ton of questions and a lot of answers, especially in networking.

Cheers

Kake