spikejackson

Swann MyDVR software playback and downloads stopped working

Hello,

I am totally stumped, so hopefully someone can help.

I have a Swann DVR8-3000 that is working just fine on its own, but the MYDVR software just started giving me problems.

I am not sure what happened, but all of the sudden I cannot playback new recordings or download them via the Swann MyDVR software. I am able to playback previous recordings and download them, but at a certain point all new recordings do not respond to play or download commands. The recordings show up in the list when I search but the Play and Download buttons do nothing, and the progress/timeline bar that shows you the position of the video does not progress.

These same recording play just fine when watching via a monitor connected directly to the DVR. Also the live feed of the cameras work just fine too. It's only the recordings that are the problem.

I am using version 1,0,1,9 of the MyDVR software (the latest).

It does not matter if I am on the LAN or over the internet, and firewalls being turned off, and DVR in the DMZ on my router make no difference either. Nor does installing, or running as an administrator.

Any ideas?

Hello,

I am totally stumped, so hopefully someone can help.

I have a Swann DVR8-3000 that is working just fine on its own, but the MYDVR software just started giving me problems.

I am not sure what happened, but all of the sudden I cannot playback new recordings or download them via the Swann MyDVR software. I am able to playback previous recordings and download them, but at a certain point all new recordings do not respond to play or download commands. The recordings show up in the list when I search but the Play and Download buttons do nothing, and the progress/timeline bar that shows you the position of the video does not progress.

These same recording play just fine when watching via a monitor connected directly to the DVR. Also the live feed of the cameras work just fine too. It's only the recordings that are the problem.

I am using version 1,0,1,9 of the MyDVR software (the latest).

It does not matter if I am on the LAN or over the internet, and firewalls being turned off, and DVR in the DMZ on my router make no difference either. Nor does installing, or running as an administrator.

Any ideas?

Did you try installing the software on another computer in the same network to see if it works or not? Maybe update the firmware on the machine. Just giving you generic advice, I've never used this machine before.

Alright, hopefully my posting to this can bring a response or two to it. I'm having the same problem with this DVR, and I've been working on it for 3 hours. I've tried contacting the Swann DVR group and they have been about as useful as a chicken wire submarine. So how does this get fixed?

I am thinking a future firmware update might fix the problem if you are having the same problem. Swann support was definitely stumped.

Some other information....

They gave me a new version of MyDVR software that didnt help.

I also formatted the hard drive and reset to factory settings with no success.

Any videos recorded after 2AM CST on September 30th dont play over the network.

Videos exported from the DVR onto a USB flash drive are playable on the PC.

The DVR is on a UPS, so power fluctuations did not cause this.

I'm at the same point. I've had a conversation with a "senior engineer" who was not able to resolve the problem. we've tried the newest versions of the software, and we've tried resetting the DVR. I'm going to try to make sure that the USB flash drive export will work now.

I have the same problem with my Swann DVR8-4000

I can see live streaming on all cameras, but also cannot download files to my PC.

The USB backup also works correctly on the DVR and the files play back on my PC without any problems.

bazzle7

Glad it's not just me having this issue with the DVR8-4000.

Can play back recording fine on the device itself if I connect a monitor to it and have tried a fresh install of the software on a different PC.

Will try spikejackson's fix tomorrow once I've connected a monitor back up to it and report if it works.

Swann DVR4000 Fix not playing back remotely, but will from DVR backup

System

Maintenance

Default Settings

Restore (Only Alarm + Recording)

Initialise HDD

Tried turning the DST setting off here and that fixed it.

Didn't spikejackson say a fix had been promised soon! That was 2 years ago.

Some of our footage was used in a criminal conviction and a question that was asked was how is the time set on the DVR.

Obviously at the time it was syncing with a time server. Now I cannot do that as it's an hour out due to DST.

Needs to find a fix rather than a bodge.

J

Hi Bazzle

Tried that on mine, the only 'init HDD' option I can find here is the one on the device tab, if I select the HDD and then click the 'Init' button it asks me to select the HDD first!

Am I missing something obvious?

cheers

J

Hi Jaff

Back up any important footage first then go to

System Tab

Maintenance Tab

Default Settings Tab

Restore (Only Alarm + Recording)

Initialise HDD after Restoring. This will wipe the drive

regards

Bazzle

Just wanted to post my experience with this issue for anyone that searches in future:

Recently bought a Swann DVR8-4600 (UK) and all was working great until the automatic reboot Sunday at 2am. I started experiencing the same issues - all recordings stopped working after this point on the SwannLink software, but bizarrely only camera 1 was recording.

After many hours of searching, resetting the system to factory defaults (which then temporarily fixed the problem until a system reboot), and fiddling with the DST & NTP settings as suggested above all to no avail. It turns out that for some reason after a reboot, motion detection setting for each camera defaults to trigger camera 1 to record and not their own respective camera. I think this must be the default settings after a factory reset, but do not come into effect until after a reboot.

The fix for not being able to view remote playback is actually very simple. The problem is not SwannView but actually a Android issue. Added security features removed permissions in the apps. To regain your permissions,  open phone or tablet Settings. Then open Apps. Scroll down list to Swannview link app. Then select to permissions tab. Under removed permissions, select each desired to enable. If, select files and media andselect ALLOW. It's that simple.

Do the same on each device, phone or tablet, voila, you're back in business.